Link preload for ckeditor

Adlago

In file .../System/Helper/Form/Editor.php you use:

\IPS\Output::i()->linkTags[] = array( 'as' => 'style', 'rel' => 'preload', 'href' => (string) $cssUrl );

When guest posting is have permissions , a link is loaded in the head:

<link as="style" rel="preload" href="https://yoursite/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/skins/ips/editor.css?t=J7UC" />

The effect of this preload is very doubtful, rather it hinders because a warning is logged with a dev tools browser test

The resource https://yoursite/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/skins/ips/editor.css?t=J7UC was preloaded using link preload but not used within a few seconds from the window's load event. Please make sure it has an appropriate `as` value and it is preloaded intentionally.

This warning only exists for guests. There is no problem for registered users

This is probably the reason for the fixed errors links from Google Search Console, as mentioned in this topic:

There will probably be a lot of time-wasting performance analysis for guests and registered users ... And in fact there is no effect on improving the loading speed of the site, but rather the damage.

I think you should remove this rule from Editor.php.

Thanks

I dont know how you think the Crawl anomaly is linked to a preload. The warning is just that, preloading that css will have a benefit for guests who go to post so I cant see why you wouldnt preload it.

I cant see the negative for preloading as it will help guests. The console is just letting you know it wasnt used straight away which is no biggie.

3 hours ago, sudo said:

I dont know how you think the Crawl anomaly is linked to a preload. The warning is just that, preloading that css will have a benefit for guests who go to post so I cant see why you wouldnt preload it.

I cant see the negative for preloading as it will help guests. The console is just letting you know it wasnt used straight away which is no biggie.

I did an analysis of the affected addresses on a site from the topic I quoted. These addresses listed in the Google search console as errors, have no issues - everything from content works perfectly for desktop and mobile tests.
The only content in these addresses that is different from the other addresses on this site is this warning in the console, when tested with the dev tools Chrome.
A few days ago the 'preload' for editor css has been removed on this site - now there is no warning on the chrome dev test. I expect the site owner to report the result of the index request again.
My suspicion is that Google search console when it finds a warning in suggested indexing links - refuses indexing and sends a warning to site admin.
This  editor css loads from the framework css quickly and in parallel with the h2 protocol. Guests have no issues.
This "preload" editor css is absolutely unnecessary and rather creates a strain on the site admin reading a Google search console ...

5 minutes ago, Adlago said:

I did an analysis of the affected addresses on a site from the topic I quoted. These addresses listed in the Google search console as errors, have no issues - everything from content works perfectly for desktop and mobile tests.
The only content in these addresses that is different from the other addresses on this site is this warning in the console, when tested with the dev tools Chrome.
A few days ago the 'preload' for editor css has been removed on this site - now there is no warning on the chrome dev test. I expect the site owner to report the result of the index request again.
My suspicion is that Google search console when it finds a warning in suggested indexing links - refuses indexing and sends a warning to site admin.
This  editor css loads from the framework css quickly and in parallel with the h2 protocol. Guests have no issues.
This "preload" editor css is absolutely unnecessary and rather creates a strain on the site admin reading a Google search console ...

Nope, I know of MANY sites with console warnings and they have got no such notice. I suspect its connection/server problems more than anything in HTML.

That preload is useful and will mean people activating the editor have less time to wait/janky page draws.

As the old saying goes correlation does not imply causation. If google were warning based on people having a preload tag I know many would have been contacted about this.

6 minutes ago, sudo said:

Nope, I know of MANY sites with console warnings and they have got no such notice. I suspect its connection/server problems more than anything in HTML.

That preload is useful and will mean people activating the editor have less time to wait/janky page draws.

I do not claim, but only guess. Google maybe have introduced new requirements in a last few months - and complaints from site administrators have been also in recent months ...

Archived