New Registration Error - help!

kherezae

Hi,

I have someone who is trying to join my forum that received an error code (see attachment) when they tried to register. They use gmail, I already searched in my ACP for the e-mail address and it didn't come up. They said they tried to register from their Samsung phone and then from their Chromebook computer. We have a LOT of people (including myself) who use gmail and this is the first time we've had someone try to register and get this error code, which is 2S129/1. Any idea why they are getting this error and how to fix it? We've been using IPS for almost a year now and we definitely have registrations turned on. I'd like to get this fixed a.s.a.p!

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 8.09.24 PM.png

Hey @kherezae this looks to be an issue with the spam service and your settings. Most likely you have a Spam level 3 or 4 account within the IPS spam service set to deny registrations (instead of register and ban or register and require admin approval).

In this case you can either manually register the member or change the spam registration settings so that you can manually register the account.

This will have nothing to do with gmail accounts in general, just this specific users email address.

Just now, Jennifer M said:

Hey @kherezae this looks to be an issue with the spam service and your settings. Most likely you have a Spam level 3 or 4 account within the IPS spam service set to deny registrations (instead of register and ban or register and require admin approval).

In this case you can either manually register the member or change the spam registration settings so that you can manually register the account.

This will have nothing to do with gmail accounts in general, just this specific users email address.

Thanks for the quick response!

I just looked in the spam defense log and it looks like they have a level 4 response, whatever that means. It's showing it four times. So...what does that mean and how do I change it or whatever? What should it be on?

A level 4 response means that in our system the account is a known spam account.

To change how your system deals with those you can go to Members > Content Moderation > Spam Prevention > Click on the "Spam Defense" tab and adjust these levels appropriately. Currently your system is likely set to "Disallow Registration" for a level 4, thus the specific error you're getting.

If you would prefer to keep this setting in tact go to Members > Members > Click the Create New Member in the top right and manually register the member. This will bypass the IPS Spam service.

@kherezae

8 minutes ago, tonyv said:

This makes me wondewr why this prospective member has a known spam account ... 😐

Yeaaah, kind of my thought exactly. XD The only reason I know that they tried to register to begin with is because they entered my Discord server and mentioned it, but right now I have no reason to suspect that they're actually a spammer based on the interaction I've had with them so far.

@Jennifer M

Can you give me more details as to why it might have flagged her? Is it possible that it's just like...a fluke or something?

If I manually register an account for them, would they have to use an entirely different e-mail address in order to bypass the spam settings?

1 minute ago, kherezae said:

If I manually register an account for them, would they have to use an entirely different e-mail address in order to bypass the spam settings?

No, as I said in my previous post manually registering an account bypasses the IPS Spam service entirely. It won't even check the email if you register them.

Unfortunately, as for the why it was flagged as a spammer, I cannot provide further details. The spam service takes a lot into account when it provides a level to an email so it could be any number of things. It's rare but it could be a false positive, thus the fail safe to manually approve or register the user.

19 minutes ago, Jennifer M said:

No, as I said in my previous post manually registering an account bypasses the IPS Spam service entirely. It won't even check the email if you register them.

Unfortunately, as for the why it was flagged as a spammer, I cannot provide further details. The spam service takes a lot into account when it provides a level to an email so it could be any number of things. It's rare but it could be a false positive, thus the fail safe to manually approve or register the user.

Okay. I guess I'm going to go ahead and manually register her, since there really isn't any reason for me to not do so. It sounds like it could just be a fluke or something, I guess, so we'll see. XD

Thank you for helping and answering my questions! I think we're all good now. 😄

• 1 month later...

That error code indicates the spam service has blocked you, yes. If you are testing registrations, this can occur because you are registering many accounts in a short period of time. We recommend whitelisting your email address in the AdminCP, or disabling the spam service while testing.

Archived