Go to top - button - why not here?

Kjell Iver Johansen

Would IPS include a Got to top button in the next release? There is no way to go to top (on mobile), except adding a button through plug-ins from third party developers, something that most of us have done. It is a solution that in my opinion should have been in the core.

I noticed one site that included the Top button, with Facebook share and I certainly would think this would be a good combination also for us? (Or something for a developer?)

image.png.4d944ae17f3e81d17274e0872cc2d87c.png

2 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Would IPS include a Got to top button in the next release? There is no way to go to top (on mobile), except adding a button through plug-ins from third party developers, something that most of us have done. It is a solution that in my opinion should have been in the core.

I noticed one site that included the Top button, with Facebook share and I certainly would think this would be a good combination also for us? (Or something for a developer?)

image.png.4d944ae17f3e81d17274e0872cc2d87c.png

So guessing when click share would share that post/topics 

5 hours ago, Charles said:

On my phone, regardless of what site I am on, if I want to go to the top of the page I just tap the top bar on my phone.

Need to tap two times on my phone and it is not userfriendly. 

If you look at the marketplace there is a lot of popular plug-in for this functionality so I think there is a need for this. 

It's one of those things Invision are adamant about not having, like with topic titles always going to the first post and no way around it unless you install a hook. I think XF do it well where the top button appears when you start scrolling up so its not always there.

I’m also a fan of back to top buttons :smile:

It can also be an accessibility thing. On mobile devices, having the button can mean not having to move your hand to the top of your device (if tapping the top works) when your hand’s at the bottom, having used it to scroll down - most people I know, with or without accessibility issues, swipe with their finger resting towards the bottom of the screen, not at the top. On desktops, your hand might be on the mouse, and you don’t want to have to leave your mouse to hit a key, let alone a combination of keys (not everybody can reach two, let alone three, keys). This might all seem petty or negligible to some people, but can be important to those with less dexterity.

Plus, why not add something that makes life easier and quicker for those who choose to use the button? If people prefer to get back to the top by reaching to the top to tap, or move their hand off the mouse to hit a key, they can always ignore the back to top button :smile:

The important thing is that it is quick to deactivate, it will be the first thing I will do in the case of adding... I don't make sense to introduce other on-screen buttons when there are already shortcuts that make your life easier.

On PC we have the home button and the scrollbar, I don't think it's hard... On a smartphone, just tap on the top of the screen or quick scroll of the page.  For example, on safari (smartphone) I have NEVER used the back button to return to the main page. There are gestures for this and on screen I want as few icons / buttons as possible.

22 hours ago, Meddysong said:

As mentioned above, those of us on Android don't have the option of a tap, although I personally don't find scrolling to be an insurmountable problem.

I wish I knew this before. I have almost tried 4-5 minutes tapping my phone before I gave up 😂

Archived