Upload Image/Attachment | Endpoint

TimTheMiles

Hello IPS,

So we're in the process of developing a Mobile App for our Community.
But one of the big things we're having problems with is uploading attachments/images.
In order to place them within a post.

Is there an Endpoint we can use to upload to our Server?
Or some work around that we can use in order to upload attachments?

I know Tapatalk offers the ability to upload images.
And with the announcement of the Native IPS Mobile App it seems we will be able to upload images.
So I know it must be possible. Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The IPS4 Post Form includes the Plupload JavaScript for uploading attachments to the post.

On my site, I decided to disable uploading interactively for all attachments and to support only "Upload via Email". On the user's device, they only have to "Share" the photos/videos/files via email by sending to an email address I create for them on my site for uploads from their registered email address.

Incoming emails are piped (via Postfix) into IPS4 and attached to the sender's profile page (I have an Uploads tab in the profile page). When an attachment is received via email, my site sends a notification with a link to a form for saving the upload to their Uploads page. The form allows them to add a caption/comment for the upload and save to their Uploads page. The site processes videos to add a transcript of the audio so they can edit that too before saving the attachment.

Then, the Post Form on my site only has the "Insert other media" dropdown and not the "Drag files to attach" area. All attachments are uploaded via email on my site (so I don't confuse anyone with multiple ways to upload files on the site).

Anyway, adding "Upload via Email" is a great feature that I have suggested many times to IPS, but they haven't implemented yet, preferring to stick with interactive uploading in the Post Form.

1 hour ago, KT Walrus said:

Anyway, adding "Upload via Email" is a great feature that I have suggested many times to IPS, but they haven't implemented yet, preferring to stick with interactive uploading in the Post Form.

I'm assuming you have a very unique use case/user base, because uploading images by attaching and sending them via email sounds like a royal pain in the butt. I love the fact you can just copy and paste images into the editor and they automagically upload.

44 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

I'm assuming you have a very unique use case/user base, because uploading images by attaching and sending them via email sounds like a royal pain in the butt. I love the fact you can just copy and paste images into the editor and they automagically upload.

Here's to hoping that when IPS releases their Mobile Apps it comes with a new API with the Endpoint to Upload Images / Attachments.
I've been studying this a bit and learned I could create my own Endpoint, but was hoping someone had a way to go about it already without developing my own.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no REST API capability to upload attachments (but there is an endpoint to submit files to Downloads, and images to Gallery, which may be an alternative option if you can't wait). The GraphQL API coming alongside the mobile app does have the ability to support attachments if you want to wait and look at that when it's released.

Archived