Quote system

We are Borg

Yes i know but if people press the quote under a post its contained in a quote box and you cant seem to break that box like you did above.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

I'm not sure I understand. You can enter any text you want inside and outside of a quote box. Example:

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

Random text following the quote

Like so. You can't break it how it always worked with BBcode you need to press enter and then it breaks and you can type between the quote boxes. Why not an button in the editor that does this.

I get it - you want it so you can take a quote like this:

This is a quote, and I'd like to discuss three items: a, b, and c.

And break it up so you can do the following:

This is a quite and I'd like to discuss three items: a

I think A is great

b,

B is alright, although somewhat surly

and c

C however is the very best, and my recommendation.

You're saying this was possible in the 3.x version?

29 minutes ago, We are Borg said:

Yes i know but if people press the quote under a post its contained in a quote box and you cant seem to break that box like you did above.

But, to @bfarber's point - you can type inside the quote box, and even indent it or add emphasis if you wanted to.

Like so. You can't break it how it always worked with BBcode you need to press enter and then it breaks and you can type between the quote boxes. Why not an button in the editor that does this.

See what I did there? Not exactly what you want, but a potential solution.

1 hour ago, We are Borg said:

With most Forum software you do quote and it shows as follow.

[QUOTE="we_are_borg, post: 0, member: 1"]Some nonsense[/QUOTE]

So then i can do this

[QUOTE="we_are_borg, post: 0, member: 1"]Some[/quote]here my comment[quote] nonsense[/QUOTE]

@Joy Rex that looks nice but is not a solution for me.

Ah, too bad - it looks like you also want to do it by editing the BBCode? Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed as far as IPS is concerned...

So the problem is that you or your users don’t know they need to hit Enter twice? Is that what it is about? The description is not really clear.

Not really sure how to solve this. An editor button would probably cause more confusion, since it’s a context-specific action, that requires the cursor to sit at a very specific spot. I also wouldn’t want to have an inline button pop out all the time I have the cursor in a quote. 

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

@bfarber

I believe the request by @We are Borg is not about 

Not impossible to break it in the middle either. You just have to make sure you are on an empty line when you hit enter in order to break out if it. In this case I had to hit enter twice, then move the cursor up one line (to get to the empty line) then hit enter again.

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

breaking the quote at the END of a quote, but in the middle:

5 hours ago, Martin A. said:

Not impossible to break it in the middle either. You just have to make sure you are on an empty line when you hit enter in order to break out if it. In this case I had to hit enter twice, then move the cursor up one line (to get to the empty line) then hit enter again.

Whoa whoa ... Three taps of the enter button?? 

Iman Crosson Hit The Whoa GIF by VidCon

2 hours ago, We are Borg said:

here my comment

Doing 3 taps on enter to insert your own comment is not intuitive pressing a button is. 

So rather than hitting enter three times, you would rather:

1. Put your cursor where you want the break
  2. Take your hand off the keyboard to grab your mouse
  3. Move the mouse to the editor toolbar and click a button
  4. Return your hands to the keyboard

Because that's more intuitive? 😕

Image result for confused gif

For you and me it works, for the people that visit the site, they have problems with it. Because normal bbcode does not work and they do not know that 3xenter breaks the quote where the put the cursor, its not how other forum software works. So they are in the dark how to proceed, making a button would be easy to break the quote.

I had to write an article on how to link images on my site because apparently the double click isn't super intuitive or clicking on the image and then clicking the link button but it's always made sense to me. Sometimes it just takes an explanation and some getting used to, like most new things.

Archived