New ideas to improve my community

dlg

Hello everybody,

I'll like to see more interaction with my user base, and I'm trying to understand a little more what people are looking this days to participate.

I found this https://www.mightynetworks.com/ and looks promising and I'll like to see how far is IPBoard in order to make it work like this one. The concept seems very easy to understand as they're looking to give users more independency from Facebook groups (as people understands what a facebook group its) however, when you're in Facebook they can close your group or anything at any time, they own everything.

I love the idea of the Clubs... will like to understand more how to use it with articles and categories, and of course with the ability to use an app for al this. In fact, this mighty networks has an app, where you enter and every community seems to be part of it and if you pay more $ then you can have your own app (branded).

For me, well at this time it doesn't help as there's no way to translate the software and as I speak Spanish and my community its in Spanish well, it doesn't help me in any way to have an English software. 😞

I'm a long time user for IPB and I'll like to see how to improve the user experience with Clubs, Articles, etc. into a more intimate and user friendly interface.

I hope you don't mind that I share my experience here and what I'm looking for to make my community work again.

Keep doing your great job and lets try to build something from ideas like this one.

1. There might be a Spanish translation in the Marketplace, which will convert all language to Spanish.  

2. Don't chase the "engagement trap," which is engagement for the sake of engagement.  

3. What unique, special value does your community offer to the world?

What I'm looking basically there are 2 things... an easy way to improve the look or the navigation in my community and the ability to use an app out of the box with it.

I probably need to use the Pages app (as never used before) and the Clubs seems like a good option too, just too confused at this point in how to use it properly. What I understand about the software I pointed out its that you can replace things like Facebook groups using it (which I think that can also be done with Clubs this side).

and for the content, well, I'll like to be able to post articles (like a magazine) which I can probably do (I'm not sure with Pages).

The point again, its to be able to use this a complete solution to manage a community this days. The wall concept (as Facebook has) seems to be really useful for many people and using it here could be interesting as well (I know about Social streams, but probably using those streams more like a wall concept (don't know if that possible too)).

And for monetization, well... I'll like to be able to use and/or have a place to insert call to action widgets, either in a wall, social stream, forum post or an article. As having good content with a nice search engine friendly platform (like IPB) will be helpful in order to convert leads. Right now, when my forums gets visits well, forum threads don't give me a chance to have a widget or to organize the content in a way I can get a lead.

I don't know if I'm explaining this properly and again, I'm not trying to say that IPBoard doesn't work or its not a good tool, as I think it is and I'm along time user... I'm just trying to make it work with all the things people its currently using it.

One thing I love with IPBoard its that I'm able to translate it to the Spanish, that's something the other tool doesn't offer and they don't seems to be close to offer it.

Does any one knows a website using it IPB with Pages in a similar way? or differently? (like with a wall or social streams, etc)

Also, how far or is there a solution for IPB to have an app?

Thank you and again, I'm not trying to say that IPBoard its not worth or doesn't work, I love the product and I'm trying to make it work someway some how. That's way I'm looking for options (different options) and honestly its hard inside the marketplace...

Have good night everyone!

1. To change your look or theme, there are hundreds of themes in the Marketplace.  

2. There is no mobile app.  

The software is designed to be responsive, so it beautifully displays on all device sizes (mobile, tablet, and desktop).  

3. @opentype has several examples of Invision Communities that use custom Page templates.  Yes, you can create an online magazine of articles.  

4. There is no "wall" or timeline design like Facebook besides status updates on user pages.  

2 minutes ago, Joel R said:

The software is designed to be responsive, so it beautifully displays on all device sizes (mobile, tablet, and desktop). 

^This. Very cool.

3 minutes ago, Joel R said:

There is no "wall" or timeline design like Facebook besides status updates on user pages.  

I probably don't understand, because I'm not on fb, but maybe the All Activity stream? I'm currently using the "All Activity" stream which includes topics/replies and profile status updates as the first thing a site visitor sees.  

Just now, tonyv said:

I probably don't understand, because I'm not on fb, but maybe the All Activity stream? I'm currently using the "All Activity" stream which includes topics/replies and profile status updates as the first thing a site visitor sees

The "wall" concept is interactive, so users can post status updates and users can respond.  

The Activity Streams are not interactive (eg. No commenting).  

1 minute ago, Joel R said:

The "wall" concept is interactive, so users can post status updates and users can respond.  

The Activity Streams are not interactive (eg. No commenting).  

I still don't get it, because if I post a status update it shows in the All Activity stream with the option for someone else or even me to reply...

6 minutes ago, tonyv said:

I still don't get it, because if I post a status update it shows in the All Activity stream with the option for someone else or even me to reply...

But ... It's not Facebook!! 

Kidding.  The Facebook wall allows you to directly post a new status update.  In IPS, you post a new status update on the user profile.  

1 minute ago, Joel R said:

But ... It's not Facebook!! 

Kidding.  The Facebook wall allows you to directly post a new status update.  In IPS, you post a new status update on the user profile.  

Ah, I see. To me it's all the same, because it lives somewhere on my board. :laugh:

Archived