Store Remote Images

JohnCourt

Good day folks, can anyone tell me if IP yes has the ability to store remote images? I am currently using Mike John's wonderful application:

I do believe though that Mike may not be planning on continuing the version up on this. I was not sure if IP had the capacity to do this in core.

Thanks for any feedback.

John

1 hour ago, Daniel F said:

Yes, this is a core feature, we call it "Image Proxy" 

Thank you Daniel, I cannot seem to find where this is? I searched it within the ACP and came up with Post Settings for allow remote images, but beyond that I am unable to see where I can set to store remote images. Any help is greatly appreciated.

58 minutes ago, JohnCourt said:

Thank you Daniel, I cannot seem to find where this is? I searched it within the ACP and came up with Post Settings for allow remote images, but beyond that I am unable to see where I can set to store remote images. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Using the ACP search and searching for "proxy" returns exactly what you need;)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-02 um 18.44.56.png

12 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Using the ACP search and searching for "proxy" returns exactly what you need;)

Yes I found that Daniel, it is located in Post Settings, as far as I know though, while IP will serve the images from local server, the remote images are not actually downloaded and served, so if the remote image is deleted at the originating source, the image will be missing in the post or topic as well.

With Mike John's application, the remote images are downloaded to the server, so that if the images are deleted at the source, they will still exist in the post or topic. I do not think IP core has that ability does it?

15 hours ago, JohnCourt said:

Yes I found that Daniel, it is located in Post Settings, as far as I know though, while IP will serve the images from local server, the remote images are not actually downloaded and served, so if the remote image is deleted at the originating source, the image will be missing in the post or topic as well.

With Mike John's application, the remote images are downloaded to the server, so that if the images are deleted at the source, they will still exist in the post or topic. I do not think IP core has that ability does it?

I think there's a bit of confusion as to what @Mike Johns resource does.

It is a rebuild tool for the built in image proxy functionality, it does not download and store images itself. It simply rebuilds older posts to add the image proxy functionality to them (as it's description notes, it processes older content to add the images to the image proxy cache). This type of tool is now built in since 4.3 and isn't something that you need to run more than once (i.e. if you had image proxy enabled, but your older posts weren't being served locally).

As long as you have the 'serve images from local server?' setting enabled, you're good to go and Invision Community will be downloading and storing the remote images and serving them from your own server.

16 hours ago, JohnCourt said:

so if the remote image is deleted at the originating source, the image will be missing in the post or topic as well.

They are being downloaded and served for a certain amount of time you can configure (Cache remote images for x days), it is even configurable to "Indefinitely".

Works flawless at our site

Archived