Community

Interferon

Discord is killing our forum

57 minutes ago, Alismora said:

I have yet to find anyone who doesn't use it

The first time I have heard of Discord was here on invisioncommunity.com. I have never seen or used it though :rolleyes: I guess it is something for the gaming communities and I have no games to play on mine.:biggrin:

My community uses it a lot. @Alismora's solution is a good way to enhance your community with Discord but it wouldn't work for us (people are lazy and they'd just go to the competition who "doesn't make using discord a hassle"). I use the option of notifications when something (anything really) is posted on the community so the people know and can take a look but out community is the type that got lazy... And took most of the discussions to discord despite staff animating and trying to redirect the traffic.

This might be caused by the life-stage the community is in (we're mostly about Star Citizen and the development is sloooooow and lasts since 2012 so many people have burned out) and may change in the future.

To sum all this up - in our case fighting discord is like fighting an ocean - utterly useless, will make you tired and you'll lose a lot and gain nothing. Instead I try to use it hovewer much I can to bolster the website. What will happen in the future? Time will tell. If discord gets taken over, becomes paid or whatever we always have the community where 100% of content is ours, we have control over what is happening and can do whatever we wish to make it a place people want to stick with.

1 hour ago, Sonya* said:

I guess it is something for the gaming communities and I have no games to play on mine

I'm in 37 servers and can assure you none of them are gaming-focused.  😎  Discord is being used by people from all walks of life even though it did start out as a communication platform for gaming guilds and clans.  Most of my servers are focused around artists and artisan crafters.

I lied, I found one belonging to a twitch art streamer who sometimes plays games. 

Invision bums me out sometimes because it seems like their client base is saturated with gaming communities and questionably legal marketplaces, though I'm basing this on who I've encountered in my short 1+ year so far in this forum.  It's severely evident in the marketplace with a lot of plugins, and themes especially, heavily geared towards those in the gaming side of the internet.  I've said this before, but I usually have to do some sort of extra customization to get most third party content to work in the way we need it to.  Discord was an easy decision to make and so far it's been extremely positive.

Image result for improvise adapt overcome

Edited by Alismora

2 hours ago, Alismora said:

I'm in 37 servers and can assure you none of them are gaming-focused.  😎  Discord is being used by people from all walks of life even though it did start out as a communication platform for gaming guilds and clans.  Most of my servers are focused around artists and artisan crafters.

I lied, I found one belonging to a twitch art streamer who sometimes plays games. 

Invision bums me out sometimes because it seems like their client base is saturated with gaming communities and questionably legal marketplaces, though I'm basing this on who I've encountered in my short 1+ year so far in this forum.  It's severely evident in the marketplace with a lot of plugins, and themes especially, heavily geared towards those in the gaming side of the internet.  I've said this before, but I usually have to do some sort of extra customization to get most third party content to work in the way we need it to.  Discord was an easy decision to make and so far it's been extremely positive.

Image result for improvise adapt overcome

With the new ips app we can overcome

On 9/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, Matt said:

Our absolute number one aim with Invision Community is to provide a platform that enables rich discussion of a topic with permanence.

There are a hundred directions we could take our software, so we have to choose wisely.

Before we add major new functionality, we ask ourselves "does this enhance multi-person rich discussion of a topic or does it detract from it?"

I can see the value for a strong chat/instant messaging app for some communities. But for others it'll just cannibalise those rich discussions into instant chats which are then disposed. You will move your community from a state of permanence into social media where conversations are lost after a few hours.

Please do not assume that just because we do not do a thing, it means we don't care, or we haven't discussed it at length internally.

If you are screaming at us because our software doesn't provide the functionality you require, then perhaps you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and you are now just hitting us with a hammer and demanding we make it fit.

If you need instant discussion and accept that discussion will become disposable, then you are probably better off with a Facebook Group.

best gif thumbs up GIF

Let's get over the "Permanent" type conversation debate. Is Twitter "Permanent"? Is IPS somehow more "Permanent" than FB? I seriously doubt it.

I'm not screaming. Just stating my wants / needs. 

I've resigned myself to these limitations (sadly)

I guess time will tell.....

A Model T still works... yes.....

Car Model T GIF by GSI Machine and Fabrication

But Teslas are being built with autopilot.... and all I'm asking for is a simple cruise control.....

coding elon musk GIF

So.... your answer is that we go to Facebook?

Yes. I firmly believe that our strong categorisation and organisation of content does make us more permanent than Twitter.

Twitter like most “feed” style apps are very much in the now. Conversations come and go. Subjects trend and then fade.

is it trivial to reply to a twitter thread from 2 weeks ago? Not without a lot of scrolling or using the search tools. There is no organisation or segmentation of conversation.

I don’t think it’s fair to position us as the “Model T” as you assume we are stuck in our ways and refuse to change the format blindly.

(I’m replying to you on our mobile app)

We we have launched many high end communities for global brands and they come to us because they don’t want a chat style community.

So, I’m not telling you to do anything. I’m just saying that if you want a chat style community then this isn’t the product that suits your needs.

FAD37AE4-76FF-4BCD-8C86-90F39DFF4AAB.jpg

I‘m a member of several gardening, bonsai and 3D printer Facebook groups and it’s really an annoying experience.

The same questions are being asked daily/weekly because it’s as Matt said, only a Feed and everything posted one day ago is getting lost... . People are losing the interest and leaving the group or starting alternative groups for more advanced people which is IMO really bad, it’s just getting a devils circle. Have you also ever tried to find a specific comment or your own reply? 9 of 10 times I couldn’t find what I was searching for. 

Its really great that there are so many interesting groups and people and that one can join all the groups without new registrations and googling and only using the Facebook search, but the results are more then depressing and disappointing. One can’t even watch / follow content 😞 

same with WhatsApp.. I’m in a parents group and it’s a literal discussion flow... one really can’t share any useful and important information with others... the Informationen but also the Diskussion will get just get lost between all the other side discussions.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes. I firmly believe that our strong categorisation and organisation of content does make us more permanent than Twitter.

Twitter like most “feed” style apps are very much in the now. Conversations come and go. Subjects trend and then fade.

is it trivial to reply to a twitter thread from 2 weeks ago? Not without a lot of scrolling or using the search tools. There is no organisation or segmentation of conversation.

I don’t think it’s fair to position us as the “Model T” as you assume we are stuck in our ways and refuse to change the format blindly.

(I’m replying to you on our mobile app)

We we have launched many high end communities for global brands and they come to us because they don’t want a chat style community.

So, I’m not telling you to do anything. I’m just saying that if you want a chat style community then this isn’t the product that suits your needs.

FAD37AE4-76FF-4BCD-8C86-90F39DFF4AAB.jpg

We only have to look at our own communities/facebook pages/groups. How often do 6 month old topics get bumped up on facebook page compared to forums, despite facebook having much higher traffic!

Edited by Steve Bullman