Dowload / See image attachments permission

Cybero

Hi,

I have an interrogation, but maybe I'm missing something:

Disabling permission to download attachments does not block their display in a topic (or elsewhere), so... it can be downloaded
I did not find how to set permissions for this :unsure: and it doesnt seem logic for me

If a group doesn't have the dowload attachments permission, images attachments should not display in the topic, only display "xxx uploaded an image ..." with the link for example (like others attachements)
From my point of view, this is not a logical behavior, but maybe it is the desired one

Any ideas ?

Regards

That's how it worked in 3.x, however we moved away from "on display" parsing entirely in 4.x. Parsing during save only (and not parsing content when displaying it) performs far better of course, and the previous functionality was not very widely used in the first place.

• 2 months later...

i just realized this is how IPB works, and IMO, this is terrible behavior!

being able to hide image attachments from guests is a common way to promote sign-ups in communities, and IPB4 doesn't support this?!?

what are you basing your "not very widely used in the first place" claim on exactly? i bet most admins that migrated from other forum software have no idea that disabling the "download attachments" permission for a group only applies to non-image type attachments.

also, it doesn't really matter what the technical challenges are with IPB's approach to rendering/caching/etc. what matters is the end result is a behavior that is undesirable and contradictory to every other forum software i've encountered - including the most prevalent (vBulletin 3 & 4).

On 8/26/2019 at 6:35 PM, sudo said:

Wow I never realised this was not in IPB having had it natively in vb4, we controlled if guests could view attachments in certain forums to encourage sign up's as well as preventing Google indexing our images.

Afaik there is a plugin to hide pics or vids for selected usergroups. 

On 11/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, bfarber said:

Invision Community is not vBulletin 3 (or 4 or 5). Our software is not a copycat or clone of another software out there that may be similar in its intentions. It works differently in some (many) aspects, this is just the simple fact.

no-one ever said your entire application should be the exact same as anything else. however - certain features, behaviors and even UI elements are similar within many community software packages. i was simply stating that the IPS approach in this particular instance stands out as different and lacking when compared to many of the others in the same genre.

It's also just plain non-intuitive. The word "attach" i used for uploading and inserting an image into a post, a user can manage these images on the "My Attachments" page, yet the word "Attachments" in the Admin UI permissions page doesn't apply to them.

Archived