Server Error in AdminCP

Hi Guys,

I'm still running 3.4.8 and I know it's no longer supported but I'm unable to access the AdminCP at all

It's showing as Driver Error -  There appears to be an error with the database.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to resolve seeing as I can't access the admin control panel to run anything in there anyway ? 

thanks in advance

45 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Via PHPMyAdmin in your host.

I'm in but I have no idea how to repair, I have 4 MySQL databases on the server ? but strangely they all say they've been running for 12 days when they've been running for years, maybe the host co rebuilt 12 days ago which has messed it up ?

thanks for everyone's help so far, it's really appreciated :smile:

It might be that your host upgraded your MySQL past a certain version and is no longer compatible with IPS 3.4.x (another reason to consider getting a license and upgrading to 4.x).

I don't think that's what happened though, as if they've been running for "12 days" as you mention, you would have noticed something amiss long before now I would hope!

I would Google "repair MySQL database PHPMyAdmin" and see if there are any tutorials that point you in the right direction. You'd only repair the database that is related to your forum.

20 minutes ago, Maxwellshouse said:

I haven't tried to access AdminCP in the last 12 days but the forum itself is otherwise running smoothly

Oh, so this is only when you attempt to access the AdminCP - I ran into something like that on my old 3.4.x forum - I think it was the logs were full? Can't recall offhand; was ages ago!

26 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

It might be that your host upgraded your MySQL past a certain version and is no longer compatible with IPS 3.4.x (another reason to consider getting a license and upgrading to 4.x).

I don't think that's what happened though, as if they've been running for "12 days" as you mention, you would have noticed something amiss long before now I would hope!

I would Google "repair MySQL database PHPMyAdmin" and see if there are any tutorials that point you in the right direction. You'd only repair the database that is related to your forum.

I've repaired the two databases that relate to my forum (both have ipb in the title) but it hasn't worked

7 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

That running time is the MySQL server uptime, the number of days/hours since it was last restarted.

What version of MySQL is it running now?

how do I tell which version of MySQL its running ?

4 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

Oh, so this is only when you attempt to access the AdminCP - I ran into something like that on my old 3.4.x forum - I think it was the logs were full? Can't recall offhand; was ages ago!

yes, everything else is running fine its just access to AdminCP = it sounds like this could be the issue then

7 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

Have a look in the "cache" folder at root level. There may be a file named "sql_error_latest.cgi" there, and it should contain the true error message, instead of the generic one your get when trying to access your ACP.

here is the message in "sql_error_latest.cgi"

"Other Files Exist

The selected locations do not contain pictures to preview but other files exist.

To view these files, on the View menu click Show Pictures Only"

12 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

The index page in PhpMyAdmin should have a box with that information. Click on the home icon on top of the sidebar.

image.png.28bf5f62a759352a01356dca1960d830.png

• Version information: 4.9.0.1

7 minutes ago, Maxwellshouse said:

here is the message in "sql_error_latest.cgi"

"Other Files Exist

The selected locations do not contain pictures to preview but other files exist.

To view these files, on the View menu click Show Pictures Only"

That's not even close to what it should contain. What you printed there is in no way related to a MySQL error. Should be something like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:18:59 +0000
 Error: 1286 - Unknown storage engine 'InnoDB'
 IP Address: 127.0.0.1 - /ipb34nodev/admin/upgrade/index.php?app=upgrade&s=aa36855f64d3c54d8a518d8f18447cbf&section=upgrade&do=caches&previous=raffles
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM seo_meta
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
 | admin/setup/sources/base/ipsRegistry_setup.php                             | [admin_core_templates_meta].rebuildMetaTagCache                               | 2050              |
 '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'
 | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [ips_CacheRegistry].rebuildCache                                              | 1439              |
 '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'
 | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [upgrade_upgrade].install_caches                                              | 203               |
 | admin/setup/sources/base/ipsController_setup.php                           | [upgrade_upgrade].doExecute                                                   | 258               |

You have to open the file in a text editor, not through your browser.

6 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

That's not even close to what it should contain. What you printed there is in no way related to a MySQL error. Should be something like this:

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:18:59 +0000
 Error: 1286 - Unknown storage engine 'InnoDB'
 IP Address: 127.0.0.1 - /ipb34nodev/admin/upgrade/index.php?app=upgrade&s=aa36855f64d3c54d8a518d8f18447cbf&section=upgrade&do=caches&previous=raffles
 mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM seo_meta
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
 | admin/setup/sources/base/ipsRegistry_setup.php                             | [admin_core_templates_meta].rebuildMetaTagCache                               | 2050              |
 | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [ips_CacheRegistry].rebuildCache                                              | 1439              |
 | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [upgrade_upgrade].install_caches                                              | 203               |
 | admin/setup/sources/base/ipsController_setup.php                           | [upgrade_upgrade].doExecute                                                   | 258               |

You have to open the file in a text editor, not through your browser.

my mistake - 

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 21:29:42 +0000
 Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'rows FROM sessions WHERE running_time > 1566249282' at line 1
 IP Address: 77.99.214.144 - /forum/house/index.php?adsess=d2f0ec681fa5a90445b1c643ff5764cf
 mySQL query error: SELECT count(*) as rows FROM sessions WHERE running_time > 1566249282
 | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |
 | house/sources/base/ipsController.php                                       | [admin_core_mycp_dashboard].doExecute                                         | 306               |

This is related to a recent database update on your server. You're not on version "4.9.0.1", that's the PhpMyAdmin version.

Looks like you're using MariaDB (which is a MySQL "clone"/"fork").

In that query "rows" is used, and that is a reserved keyword in MariaDB, added in v10.2.4. That's what causing your error.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/reserved-words/

5 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

This is related to a recent database update on your server. You're not on version "4.9.0.1", that's the PhpMyAdmin version.

Looks like you're using MariaDB (which is a MySQL "clone"/"fork").

In that query "rows" is used, and that is a reserved keyword in MariaDB, added in v10.2.4. That's what causing your error.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/reserved-words/

any idea how I would get around this ? do I need to contact my host company ?

amazing help from you all with this, I'm really grateful 

You could start by asking if your host can downgrade your DB version.

If not your option is to either hire someone to chase these errors, as you can be sure there's more to follow. Remember that you are running a version that haven't recieved a proper maintenance release in almost 5 years, who knows what more will break as your host keeps upgrading both PHP and MySQL.
Or you can upgrade to v4.4.6.

This is the problem that one faces when you don't stay up to date. As other technology progresses, outdated software which isn't maintained will begin to fail. Similar to the issues you are facing here, if your host upgrades the server to run PHP7 then your community will cease to function.

I would strongly encourage you to get upgraded to our latest release, where you won't face this error.

If that's not an option, the only options you have are:

• Ask your host to downgrade MySQL (I would be surprised if they are willing to do so, however they may).
  • Hire a developer to modify the core source files to adjust the queries. Note that as other new versions of MySQL are installed similar issues could crop up (for instance, the newly released MySQL 8.0.17 does not allow "member" in a query without being escaped now, and I can't recall if 3.x uses that keyword anywhere in queries), and you will face separate but equally problematic issues if PHP is upgraded.

29 minutes ago, Maxwellshouse said:

Downgrading the MySQL is not possible from the host

i have never upgraded my IPB4 because I was happy with 3 and my Forum is modified and works just the way we like it. 4 just seemed too much of a change for us

I will say from my own personal experience (as a recent 3.4.x holdout to 4.x upgrade), that most of your mods are either now standard features in the software, or have equivalent 4.x mods available.

I would do a review of features (possibly engaging your community as well) as what are 'must haves', and then research to see if the Suite has the feature still or in the case of a modification, now supports it natively or via an updated addon. Once you've done that, you can plan out your migration and IPS makes it very easy to do so - they even handle the migration process for you!

The only pain point you may experience is if you have a customized theme (either done by yourself or a third party) and there may not be an equivalent 4.x version - I was lucky enough to be using one of @ehren. excellent themes, and he had a 4.x version available for a small fee to upgrade to.

Their support team is very responsive and will address any concerns before and after your upgrade, and while change can be difficult to accept for some communities, selling it to them as a positive experience (leading up to the upgrade, do a "new features to look forward to" post every week/day to get your community excited and behind the upgrade. Explaining to them that there are technical reasons for the upgrade helps as well as we all know technology marches on, and we all have to keep up to remain relevant.

From an administrative standpoint, you will absolutely love 4.x - the updates via the ACP (no FTPing files up like you do now), the features and tools for both admins and mods make upgrading in my opinion a no-brainer and has certainly made running my forum much easier than before. Just like you, I was experiencing issues like what you are going through and the end of life for PHP 5.6 was the main driving factor in getting upgraded for me.

Ok the problem is resolved for now .... the support team for my hosting at 20i went the extra mile and edited the files for me and everything seems to be working fine and I’m back in the AdminCP

i appreciate that as much as I don’t want to, I’m going to have to look into upgrading but I guess this buys me a little time to look into it, fine a suitable theme and employ someone to help get version 4 as close to what we have now

thanks for everyone’s help in identifying the problem here, I’m aware my version isn’t officially supported but you guys have helped a great deal

Archived