Clubs enhancement requested

Cowboy Denny

I love the clubs..  it makes organizing our site so much nicer and more focused but what the clubs are lacking is two things from my standpoint. Permissions and Teasers for Open

OPEN club I believe it would be great if you could offer a setting to only allow teasers unless you are a member of the club.  This would intice more people to join the club if they are interested in seeing more.  Would be great, somehow, if the contents could still be used to bring people to that post based on a search...  if they want to see everything, they should have to become a member.

PERMISSIONS in a club.  As it is now, if you are a member of the club you can see everything anyone else in the club can see. I would love to be able to put restricted topics, files, etc.. that still are relevant to the club but maybe only moderators of the club.  So I suppose a club could have different levels of membership..  Owner, Moderator, Club Member...  and you could set permissions to areas in the club based on those club membership levels.  Even password protect stuff would be really nice.

Otherwise. Love it!  If I could be greedy I would love more flexibility with the forums in clubs instead of creating a topic and having to put all posts in there. I would rather have forums and then as many topics under that as you want but that's probably just me.  I like trying to keep my menu clean...   oooh, maybe click on forums and then that expands all the subtopics under that in the menu 🙂

On 8/15/2019 at 9:18 AM, tonyv said:

I would like to be able to make Clubs so Guests can't see them, so only logged in Community members can see the Clubs in the Forums index table view. 🐮

Yes i would like to see this as well - Its surprising that this is not standard.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 7:18 PM, tonyv said:

I would like to be able to make Clubs so Guests can't see them, so only logged in Community members can see the Clubs in the Forums index table view. 🐮

Posting an update. There actually is a permission to make Clubs not visible to Guests: ACP>System>Applications, expand System, click on the padlock next to Clubs and adjust the permissions for all user groups. I made mine so Guests don't have access to the Clubs module. Yes, there's a Category for Clubs on the Forums table, but when a user who is not logged in tries to expand it, there are no forums there. That's what I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 4:29 AM, tonyv said:

Posting an update. There actually is a permission to make Clubs not visible to Guests: ACP>System>Applications, expand System, click on the padlock next to Clubs and adjust the permissions for all user groups. I made mine so Guests don't have access to the Clubs module. Yes, there's a Category for Clubs on the Forums table, but when a user who is not logged in tries to expand it, there are no forums there. That's what I was looking for.

thanks for that - that worked but i noticed if i click the 'Activity' tab i could still see a post from the club and i could visit it.

how about you?

8 minutes ago, bern5 said:

thanks for that - that worked but i noticed if i click the 'Activity' tab i could still see a post from the club and i could visit it.

how about you?

No. I just created a test topic/post in one of the clubs, logged out, and checked the all activity stream (my site's default "home" page), and it wasn't visible. Are you sure you logged out before checking the activity stream?

It’s a cool idea but if your forming a closed or private club the members are not gonna feel like it’s private if anyone can come along and have a peak. It’s not how groups on Facebook work and the permissions are the same as what everyone is used to I don’t see much reason to change them or add more layers. 

I agree guests should not be able to see groups unless they are public, there should be a better solution for this than changing the module permissions.

The best club enhancement is the advanced topic feed imo..

It turns the club forums into feeds and it can also pull from clubs so you don’t need your club category in the main forum section.

47 minutes ago, FASEOFMARS said:

It’s a cool idea but if your forming a closed or private club the members are not gonna feel like it’s private if anyone can come along and have a peak. It’s not how groups on Facebook work and the permissions are the same as what everyone is used to I don’t see much reason to change them or add more layers. 

I agree guests should not be able to see groups unless they are public, there should be a better solution for this than changing the module permissions.

Why does everything have to be compared to facebook? I'm not on facebook, and I have no interest in joining it. Occasionally, I'll try to look at a facebook profile, whether a person's or a company's, and it's the most annoying, frustrating experience to have nag screens continually popping up asking me to log in, create an account, or click "NOT NOW." One could say I'm an occasional guest, a visitor of facebook, and I'm always disgusted with the experience, which obviously isn't something I partake in often. I don't want my site to be like that. I have lots of resources which I'm willing to share with guests. I won't pressure, bully, or annoy people into joining if they don't want to, and that's why I don't like teasers either. Really, it's no big deal if someone just wants to lurk. (I'm talking about actual enthusiasts, I don't mean bots, spammers, or other resource wasting undesirable types of interlopers.) Essentially, I just want my Clubs forums to be hidden from guests on the main forum table view for a cleaner look; my clubs are anyway really just to benefit my members, and setting the Clubs module off-limits to Guests has accomplished that. I try to do the most I can for my Members, and I want my welcome Guests to have an enjoyable, meaningful experience, too. 

Just now, FASEOFMARS

The best club enhancement is the advanced topic feed imo..

It turns the club forums into feeds and it can also pull from clubs so you don’t need your club category in the main forum section.

Closed and private clubs content are only viewable by the members of those clubs or a moderator with the permission “has leader permission in all clubs”. As such if you are seeing different behavior be sure of the above two things before submitting a ticket.

if you want a "subsidiary" community different than the main community it needs to have it's own recirculation that doesn't show up in the activity feed (unless selected by the user) and the topic / posts boxes in the sidebar (unless the user is a member of that group)

Currently as long as the club is "open" then those club posts will automatically recirculate the entire site .....

(if you set to "Closed" then no guest traffic from google searches will see any posts thereby limiting club growth / income)

(We need an "open" club to google searches and guests views that recirculates on it owns posts and not on the entire main community)

So you have to limit the sidebar Topics / Posts boxes to only show a forum topic from the main forum.... which then means a club can't grow like the main forum (community)

Once this is fixed the sites should allow for growth of individual communities and the overall site.

11 hours ago, tonyv said:

Why does everything have to be compared to facebook? I'm not on facebook, and I have no interest in joining it. Occasionally, I'll try to look at a facebook profile, whether a person's or a company's, and it's the most annoying, frustrating experience to have nag screens continually popping up asking me to log in, create an account, or click "NOT NOW." One could say I'm an occasional guest, a visitor of facebook, and I'm always disgusted with the experience, which obviously isn't something I partake in often. I don't want my site to be like that. I have lots of resources which I'm willing to share with guests. I won't pressure, bully, or annoy people into joining if they don't want to, and that's why I don't like teasers either. Really, it's no big deal if someone just wants to lurk. (I'm talking about actual enthusiasts, I don't mean bots, spammers, or other resource wasting undesirable types of interlopers.) Essentially, I just want my Clubs forums to be hidden from guests on the main forum table view for a cleaner look; my clubs are anyway really just to benefit my members, and setting the Clubs module off-limits to Guests has accomplished that. I try to do the most I can for my Members, and I want my welcome Guests to have an enjoyable, meaningful experience, too. 

What I’m saying is there is nothing wrong with the group permissions and I was actually agreeing with what you said about guests not being allowed to view groups. 

Just because “you” don’t use Facebook or don’t see the use in it or social media doesn’t mean the rest of the world isn’t addicted to it. I start changing things and my real life Facebook community and peers won’t know what’s going on. I think Invision got the group permissions perfect and that’s coming from someone who runs closed and secret Facebook groups the biggest in my country. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/14/2019 at 2:18 PM, DJ ZAh said:

I love the clubs..  it makes organizing our site so much nicer and more focused but what the clubs are lacking is two things from my standpoint. Permissions and Teasers for Open

OPEN club I believe it would be great if you could offer a setting to only allow teasers unless you are a member of the club.  This would intice more people to join the club if they are interested in seeing more.  Would be great, somehow, if the contents could still be used to bring people to that post based on a search...  if they want to see everything, they should have to become a member.

PERMISSIONS in a club.  As it is now, if you are a member of the club you can see everything anyone else in the club can see. I would love to be able to put restricted topics, files, etc.. that still are relevant to the club but maybe only moderators of the club.  So I suppose a club could have different levels of membership..  Owner, Moderator, Club Member...  and you could set permissions to areas in the club based on those club membership levels.  Even password protect stuff would be really nice.

Otherwise. Love it!  If I could be greedy I would love more flexibility with the forums in clubs instead of creating a topic and having to put all posts in there. I would rather have forums and then as many topics under that as you want but that's probably just me.  I like trying to keep my menu clean...   oooh, maybe click on forums and then that expands all the subtopics under that in the menu 🙂

This would be ideal add's to the existing great Clubs mod.  Of course several companies don't like the word "Club" to be used which I know we can update the language settings which I need to look into all the different places it would need to updated.

BACK to the matter at hand.

I like the OPEN club to have an option to only allow teasers unless you are a member of the club.  Not mandatory but how many people just cruise through your site, steal information and post it on their own site.  It's hard to build a community when you get the info stealers and not a community of like minded people working together to build a great community.

After reading the suggestions I still believe having permissions inside a club would help a ton with keeping one club for everyone and just some elevated permissions for stuff that possibly shouldn't be available to all members of the group/club.  At minimum you could just have permissions based on the existing roles (leader, moderator, member)..  maybe it would be less coding.

Archived