Block scheduling / tabs - are these possible?

Rob Fielding

Hi,

I switched from VBulletin to Invision in the summer (as a football forum) in time for the new UK football season.

I have a couple of specific questions about blocks:

1. Is there any ability to schedule blocks? As a football site I'd really like the ability to schedule blocks on set days (e.g. a match preview block on Fridays, a live match centre on Saturdays etc). This would be better than multiple blocks being always open which take up space and which are not always relevant (e.g. you don't want to see a live match centre block if there is no live match to see).

2. Is there any ability to create tabbed blocks? I'd really like to create a block which has tabs for Fixtures / Results / League Table?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Rob

4 minutes ago, Rob Fielding said:

Hi,

I switched from VBulletin to Invision in the summer (as a football forum) in time for the new UK football season.

I have a couple of specific questions about blocks:

1. Is there any ability to schedule blocks? As a football site I'd really like the ability to schedule blocks on set days (e.g. a match preview block on Fridays, a live match centre on Saturdays etc). This would be better than multiple blocks being always open which take up space and which are not always relevant (e.g. you don't want to see a live match centre block if there is no live match to see).

2. Is there any ability to create tabbed blocks? I'd really like to create a block which has tabs for Fixtures / Results / League Table?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Rob

1) The no official way to have a block show on selected date like your example many sites do have like countdown block that pre set by the admin and below or above has the team's playing but that about it really you also might look this application.

this might be able help few items and also might have look this one also not sure if fit.

2. The link for My Football will do this all for you one example site i know still using this and sure will not mind me showing is https://prideofnottingham.co.uk/ 

Hi @Rob Fielding congrats on the migration to Invision Community.  

For this first suggestion, I wonder if you might be able to use Calendar.  Then you can show upcoming matches in the calendar blocks, which are designed for events and dates. 

Otherwise, you can create custom blocks if you have Pages that would require custom coding. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, Joel R said:

Hi @Rob Fielding congrats on the migration to Invision Community.  

For this first suggestion, I wonder if you might be able to use Calendar.  Then you can show upcoming matches in the calendar blocks, which are designed for events and dates. 

Otherwise, you can create custom blocks if you have Pages that would require custom coding. 

Thanks. I do use Calendar for matches but it's not great for football fixtures in my opinion. I have a third party fixtures/results package which looks better IMO.

However, regardless of personal preference, the question is more to do with how to put a lot of information into a sidebar without making it massively long

I want to keep my users on the site with relevant information and I can potentially add:

• Live Scores
  • Table
  • Fixtures
  • Results
  • Score Predictor
  • Player Rater
  • Video interviews
  • On this day
  • Plus adverts

So it would make more sense to me to either put some of these in tabbed blocks or schedule them (i.e. you don't need to rate players before a game only after) so the sidebar isn't thirty feet long.

However, if it's not possible, it's not possible...

Archived