Databases

Nahash5150

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding information on how to create databases. Using the adminCP is somewhat confusing because there's no explanation of how things will display or behave without actually spending hours and hours experimenting.

The feature also seems to display records like a forum, rather than like a real database with rows/columns, database-like tools (such as sort orders and filters) and search (within the database only). I'd like to use the database feature for a few different things, such a product datasheets (Name, brand, description, price, datasheet pdf, specsheet pdf, type) and services (type, model, brand, price, description, options, availability).

Also, is there any information about the parameters of the xml file for importing? Does the engine support importing data from an xml or csv over scheduled intervals?

The database feature in Pages is not like an Excel database.  The naming can be confusing.  

You should think of it more as a conceptual CMS database of records, like a newspaper with articles, a book of recipes, a blog of posts, an index of biographies, etc.  

16 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

The feature also seems to display records like a forum, rather than like a real database with rows/columns, database-like tools (such as sort orders and filters) and search (within the database only). I'd like to use the database feature for a few different things, such a product datasheets (Name, brand, description, price, datasheet pdf, specsheet pdf, type) and services (type, model, brand, price, description, options, availability).

This is possible.  Let me explain: 

You first create a database called Products.  You define several custom fields that correspond to each product's characteristics (brand, description, price, datasheet PDF, specsheet pdf, service info, etc).  

You will populate the database with items.  For each item you will fill out the custom fields.  

The output templates is where you're probably having trouble.  By default, Pages application only ships with some basic templates (mainly used for an article-style layouts).  You would need to commission or develop custom templates to create an X-Y grid like Excel.  

You can contact @opentype for paid templates in Pages.  

I was thinking about your problem some more.  As you've probably discovered, there is no Marketplace template for an actual x-y database.  

One thing you might be able to do, though, is to get the Google Docs plugin, which allows embedding of Google Sheets into the editor.  You would create the data sheets directly on Google Sheets and then embed into the editor.  

On 8/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Nahash5150 said:

The feature also seems to display records like a forum, rather than like a real database with rows/column …

The default LISTING template uses the “forum row” type, that’s true. This can be customized however with knowledge of HTML and the IPS framework. 
Here are some examples of the same listing view with customizations from my own sites:

As you can see, lots of things are possible. 

database-like tools (such as sort orders and filters) and search (within the database only)

Those are all stock options in one way or another. 

Also, is there any information about the parameters of the xml file for importing? Does the engine support importing data from an xml or csv over scheduled intervals?

There is no import option at this time. The Pages database structure can be imported and exported but not the content. 

Archived