Community

Gauravk

Which newsletter app and bulk mailing service you use?

Hi Guys,

I just want to know that which newsletter app and bullk mailing service you guys are using and how happy are you...?

We have used Mailchimp for good two years but being expensive and resulting with bad delivery rate and super bad open (10%) and click rate (1%) we gave up.

Wanted to know what is your average open and click rate?

Which newsletter app you recommend?

Which mailing service (free/paid) you recommend for better delivery?

Thanks in advance

Comparing open/click rates is not really meaningful. That’s mostly defined by the content of the email, not the technical circumstances. 

I’m using the IPS bulk mail service. It works fine and I see no reason to use a paid external alternative, which would also cause GPDR issues. 

Thanks for your feedback, but the only problem why we have switched to mailchimp is to see what is happening once we hit the send button. So that we can optimize, target and customize content accordingly.

Could you please share what are the current metrics that IPB bulk mail service shares now, as we used it 3-4 years back.

Deliverability is different from open rates.

We use MailChimp and they have good deliverability. The key to increase the open rate is to make sure the subject line is interesting enough to make people WANT to open the email.

For example, you'll notice we never use: "Invision Community August Newsletter" because that's boring and people will likely skip it. The subject doesn't really excite anyone.

I tend to use the title of one of the entries so something like "What's new in 4.4.5?" or "How to increase engagement" and so on. Stoke people's curiosity so they can't help but to click it.

Then the opening paragraph has to be compelling enough to invite the viewer to read. I get hundreds of emails a day and I make a decision in under 2 seconds after opening it if I want to read on.

I worked with a friend who owns a fitness brand on daily emails to understand the process better and the subject line was key. Some subject lines for a 25% open rate on a list of 10,000 people, other subjects got a 10% open rate.

Someone else I know told me that they did an email to their list and only got 2% open rate! I asked what the subject was, and they said it was "Newsletter #1". They re-sent the email a day later with a new subject line and got 30% open rate.

Posted (edited)

I do it the same way. Here is an example of my typography site’s monthly newsletter:

1561987709_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-07um12_56_47.thumb.png.8824d239582e74e5b2681c099c337df4.png

The subject lines are meant to stoke interest and don’t feel like ‘yet another newsletter’. This principle continues within the newsletter. I manually select specific content I feel worth highlighting from the community. And I make sure that the majority of the content is meant to be useful to the member. I might put advertising content in there as well, but it will never dominate the newsletter. That way, the members are more likely to continue to read my newsletters in the future. 

Edited by opentype