Finding Multiple Accounts Sharing IP Addresses

Chris027

Hi Guys - I'm trying to find a way to find user accounts that have accessed the site from the same IP address. I know I can manually view users' IP addresses but I's love a plugin or something that will easily let me see if a user has "shared" an IP address with any other users.

This certainly isn't a failsafe way of identifying people with multiple accounts, but it's one piece of a larger puzzle. 

Just now, opentype said:

If you access the user’s IP from the ACP, it shows a list of stats for that IP, including the number of registrations. 

That’s as close as you can get to what you ask for. 

Thanks @opentype. I'd love a way to make this easier. Users are smart, but once in a while they slip up and login without a proxy on a couple accounts. Finding these manually by combing through user accounts is a pain. 

What’s the use case? What ‘damage’ do those people do on your site so you need to find them? I might sometimes check this for a banned trouble-maker, but for that the current functionality would be enough. A list wouldn’t be of interest to me personally and I expect there could also be a lot of false-positives, where the same IP might be unavoidable, e.g. different people in a company network. 

Either way, it’s probably super easy to code as a custom plugin

52 minutes ago, opentype said:

What’s the use case? What ‘damage’ do those people do on your site so you need to find them?

There are some hot button subjects (within our niche) and some abrasive people. When banned, then come back with another name or several and cause havoc in the community. They will connect using a proxy much of the time, which gives me several pages of IP addresses to comb through for each user. 

Manufacturers also do this to promote their products under the radar. They'll go on until someone thinks something just isn't right about them, then the hunt will start to find if they have another account etc...

An intelligent plugin that would notify me of matches would be incredibly nice. As soon as someone connects with an IP address that another account used, I receive a notification. Sure there can be false positives, but more often than not IP address has been a great indicator. 

41 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

FYI Guys - The app found a duplicate for me, but it doesn't tell me the two accounts that are dups. It only tells me the new account that is a duplicate. I can't do much without more information. 

269527560_ScreenShot2019-08-05at9_48_27AM.thumb.png.354e1c0522dae4fa32ea590b3173d3ed.png

I would reach out to @CodingJungle, or in the support thread he has for his addons.

Just now, Lucas James said:

It only counts for the new registrants, not the old ones.

understood. But, it shows I have one duplicate and shows nothing when I click on Show Alts. If it identified a duplicate, shouldn't it show me which accounts are duplicates?

Archived