New usergroup - what permissions?

MMXII

It's not currently based on any usergroup it is only using the suite's defaults. If you would like to base it off of another usergroup's settings then click the arrow to the right of the desired group and choose "Copy" this will set the group to the settings/permissions that the usergroup uses.

20 minutes ago, Jennifer M said:

It's not currently based on any usergroup it is only using the suite's defaults. If you would like to base it off of another usergroup's settings then click the arrow to the right of the desired group and choose "Copy" this will set the group to the settings/permissions that the usergroup uses.

I guess my question is in line with the original. I've been searching for a setting, but I can't find it. 

Let's say I have several user groups e.g. Members, Members 1, Members 2, etc. with various permissions. Into which group do the new members I manually approve go? Is there a default setting in the ACP, or is it a choice presented to me (which I haven't noticed) when I approve new members?

Just now, Jennifer M said:

The default group is normally the group ID of 3. If you are self hosted you can define a different default membergroup by changing this in your conf_global.php:

$INFO['member_group']			=	'3';

I'm cloud hosted and that line and the 3 are above my skill set. Do my manually approved new members go into the "Members" group by the software's default?

On 7/30/2019 at 2:46 AM, Jennifer M said:

It's not currently based on any usergroup it is only using the suite's defaults.

Thanks for clarification.

I wonder though why the default settings include users not to be able to e.g. upload attachments? Or under "Messages", every preset value is "0"? But then again users are allowed to "Override recipients' storage quota"? I definetly do not get the idea behind (some of) the default settings...

On 7/30/2019 at 2:46 AM, Jennifer M said:

If you would like to base it off of another usergroup's settings then click the arrow to the right of the desired group and choose "Copy" this will set the group to the settings/permissions that the usergroup uses.

I know about that setting. In theory, that is a good thing. However there is one problem: It also copies permissions regarding forums, clubs, pages etc. Only very rarely I want to copy these, too. Usually I want a copy of all usergroup permissions, but not the app-specific ones.

My suggestion:

If a new usergroup is created, their permissions will be a duplicate of the current "Registered" usergroup (Membergroup ID: 3). Then all basic permissions (the ones that every registered user gets) are being taken into account and I can start from there and customize the new group further to my liking.

5 minutes ago, MMXII said:

Thanks for clarification.

I wonder though why the default settings include users not to be able to e.g. upload attachments? Or under "Messages", every preset value is "0"? But then again users are allowed to "Override recipients' storage quota"? I definetly do not get the idea behind (some of) the default settings...

I know about that setting. In theory, that is a good thing. However there is one problem: It also copies permissions regarding forums, clubs, pages etc. Only very rarely I want to copy these, too. Usually I want a copy of all usergroup permissions, but not the app-specific ones.

My suggestion:

If a new usergroup is created, their permissions will be a duplicate of the current "Registered" usergroup (Membergroup ID: 3). Then all basic permissions (the ones that every registered user gets) are being taken into account and I can start from there and customize the new group further to my liking.

you could just copy the registered group then instead of creating a new one. 

Archived