Develop another way to "post topic" from database to forum

fourday

Currently:

I have a database of records on a separate page from my forum (can't be on same page, right?).   

But when someone creates a new record in the database, I want to let people in the forum know about it.   Currently I can use the native "post topic" feature (in database settings) and it will make an auto post to the forum.... but when it does, it creates a new forum-post-copy with its own set of view counts and replies/comments..   So the view count and replies/comments on database side are different than on the forum side.   I don't want this.  (although it does create a link the the actual record at the very end of the auto post).

What I want:  

Is there currently  a way, or is someone interested in developing:     

The ability to set the "post topic" feature in database settings to automatically post a LINK to the new record in the forum, instead of a duplicate forum version?   Then from the forum side, my audience will see that there's a new record from the auto post, but when they click on it, it opens a new window and goes to that actual new database record?  

Will pay for this.  PM me if interested.    

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, fourday said:

So the view count and replies/comments on database side are different than on the forum side.  

The comments can be linked (i.e. synced) if you want to. 

About the rest: There is a theme template that defines how that linked topic works. You could easily edit it to remove the content and just present a link to open in a new window. Just takes seconds to do this. 

32 minutes ago, opentype said:

The comments can be linked (i.e. synced) if you want to. 

About the rest: There is a theme template that defines how that linked topic works. You could easily edit it to remove the content and just present a link to open in a new window. Just takes seconds to do this. 

@opentype  Appreciate the input.   That sounds straight forward.   So when a new record is created, it will post a new topic title, and when you click on that it opens a window with just a link, no content, right?  That would work.  

But is there an easy way to make that auto generated topic title be the link?  So you click on that that new topic title and it goes straight to the record in a window?   One less step?   

That quick solution (which I appreciate) solves some of problem, but the auto post topic would still have an independent view count on the forum side vs record side, and require 2 clicks to get to the record.   

hmmmmm....   the block record feed isn't quite right as is.... just a link in the auto topic post is close...  but I need to keep thinking about the best way to better merge these two worlds on my site.   

Thanks for input!!!   Very much appreciated.     

To be honest, I recommend not using the post to forums options since 4.0 was released. It’s a legacy feature which made a lot of sense in 3.4, but much less so in the 4.x series. I set up my communities in a way where people always use the activity feeds to learn about new content and so there is no need at all to cross-post in the forums. 

Archived