search needs some work

AmericanRev2

how can i search for something in the search box here like an add-on and not find it but if i google the name of the add-on i can find it?

How is google search better at searching this site then this sites own search?

Can you add google search bar on this site so i don't have to keep going back to google to find something here?

Funny you should post this - I just came here to echo the same sentiments. 

Our site users have stated the same, we have to deal with constant negative feedback about how awful the site search is. They aren't able to find what they are looking for - they end up going to Google in order to find the pages on the site.

Not sure how this hasn't been fixed yet, the search has been sub-par for years and just never seems to get resolved. There is no way for us to justify to our users why Google does a better job at providing relevant results than our own on-site search. This is especially the case when users are searching for strings inside of text bodies on forum posts for example. The search results just make little sense in the way they are processed and served.

It's getting really difficult to justify our decision in CMS choice when asked why it's so difficult to find anything on our 4 Million post forums.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Have you guys tried our Elastic Search integration?

By the way, @Matt. The search engine here has been quite a disaster lately. I meant to collect some examples, but you can start with a very simple one:

Search by: search work (no quotes, no AND between them). Naturally, this topic is is the first 3 results - fair enough. However, the quality of the search results drastically declines after that. It seems that it shows results from either "search" or "work", but not both. Fair enough, repeat the same search with: search AND work , now it seems the most prominent found word is "and", which I believe should be ignored. For example this comes as a number 2 result: 

image.thumb.png.513e9183302ca9dd11972f1dceff8587.png

There is no "work" anywhere in this topic. 

We got that but it’s weird. If I search for RAFFLES SYSTEM, for example, in Downloads only, I’ll see it in the 8th place of results. That doesn’t make much sense. Maybe add theses options (AND & OR) in the form because the way it is I need to use search twice to get what I want: one with OR which results in 8th place and click on a link to rum the search again to use AND.

• Management
1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

We got that but it’s weird. If I search for RAFFLES SYSTEM, for example, in Downloads only, I’ll see it in the 8th place of results. That doesn’t make much sense. Maybe add theses options (AND & OR) in the form because the way it is I need to use search twice to get what I want: one with OR which results in 8th place and click on a link to rum the search again to use AND.

Advanced Search - Invision Community 2019-07-23 11-55-48.jpg

This works https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q=RAFFLES SYSTEM&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

• Management
3 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Is there any setting to change default behavior from OR to AND?

Still the 8th place. I mean, you have to think as a user. The vast majority won’t know that.

We do, which is why we have this:

Showing results for 'raffles system'. - Invision Community 2019-07-23 12-01-29.jpg

• Management

What would you suggest?

We allow Admins to decide if it should be "And" / "or" by default.
We have the option to switch between And/Or searching both in the main search form, and in the drop down search form on every page.
We have "Can't find what you're looking for" links to search variants of your original terms.

I can't think of what else we can do.

@Matt Please read this:

1668205159_ScreenShot2019-07-23at4_43_25PM.thumb.png.c475d14d7c8604ee83d54d573cabdca2.png

VS

131360146_ScreenShot2019-07-23at4_43_12PM.thumb.png.6208600d7ecb1c612f103fe48e9c0a3f.png

Donations? ......DONATIONS?.....    Really? ... Nice...

And no where on the first page is anything to do with Group Mention

this is one example of a million times i have to use google to find something here, even my own posts

The search here is too complicated the most relevant data should ALWAYS show for the search term 

Remove some of the search options .... if i search for CAT show me some posts about cats, some threads about cats, some photos of cats. If google can do what it does and search every website and pull everything i want to know using NO SEARCH OPTIONS then why do we need all these options to search our own site exspecially when i search Cat it returns with information about Dogs

• Management

You need to search for: "Group Mention" (note the quotes). This treats it as a phrase, and not "group" or "mention".

This is a hint underneath the search results.

We used to default to "AND" search which would have been better for you, but then we had people searching for "cars bikes" and only finding results for items that had both 'cars' and 'bikes' in the content, when they wanted content to match either.

Also, we use ElasticSearch's relevancy which does a fairly good job.

You can't really say "make your search results as good as Google's" as we don't have the processing power, their custom algorithms and so on.

Using ElasticSearch with the and/or default set to your own preference generally returns a good data set.

I think search is spot on here. Our two posts rank as more relevant as they are very new (something Google won't factor as it needs to spider and crunch the data first)

Showing results for '%22group mention%22'. - Invision Community 2019-07-24 10-46-27.jpg

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

You need to search for: "Group Mention" (note the quotes). This treats it as a phrase, and not "group" or "mention".

This is a hint underneath the search results.

We used to default to "AND" search which would have been better for you, but then we had people searching for "cars bikes" and only finding results for items that had both 'cars' and 'bikes' in the content, when they wanted content to match either.

Also, we use ElasticSearch's relevancy which does a fairly good job.

You can't really say "make your search results as good as Google's" as we don't have the processing power, their custom algorithms and so on.

Using ElasticSearch with the and/or default set to your own preference generally returns a good data set.

I think search is spot on here. Our two posts rank as more relevant as they are very new (something Google won't factor as it needs to spider and crunch the data first)

We're using Elastic Search and this is what we were given by a user who came across this example...

He was looking for a thread titled "Tandem accident - Gatineau Quebec" -   ( https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/26633-tandem-accident---gatineau-quebec/ )

When one searches for term "tandem accident gatineau" (without quotation) into the search, the results for the thread above do not appear.

image.thumb.png.301e2a5c1e38b7a528b8c3ed7ba50316.png

He then took a phrase from within the body of the same post, and tried to search for it "No cause for the reserve problem was found although it is hypothesized by military riggers" - then again returned no results for that thread.

Is this a problem with the search, or with the indexing of forum posts? Because it returns some results from other posts related broadly to the search term, but that post doesn't appear in results. There's a few examples of this happening on our site...

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

I would humbly suggest to reconsider this default for the search engine here. There is no one size fits all solution, obviously, but I think nowadays most people assume AND by default instead of OR. 

Google also does by AND by default and it is the search that the majority of population are using. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

This is one of the annoying things about searching on this forum for me, is that you are not ANDing search terms together by default.  Pretty much every single time I use more than one term, I have to then click the link to AND the terms together.  Who are these people using a search engine to try and find two disparate terms at the same time, as opposed to doing two searches?  If you go to google and search for "cars bikes", you're going to get results that contain both terms at the top.  Please make that the default here!

..Al

On 7/23/2019 at 4:43 AM, Matt said:

Have you guys tried our Elastic Search integration?

I can say that the results improved a fair bit after installing this, and the results are returned MUCH faster.  Definitely can recommend.

However, one thing I'm not keen on is the stemming.  It's fine sometimes, but you can't seem to force the search engine to NOT use stemming by putting a search term in quotes.  If I put quotes around a word, it'll still search for the stem as opposed to the literal word.

For instance, on my forum if I search for "coding" (with quotes), here's what I see:

coding.thumb.jpg.15b242ea86f2c8a2aa7da2cb13001372.jpg

Not a single result containing "coding" on the first page of results, just "code" and "codes".  How can I fix this?

..Al

1 hour ago, AtariAge said:

I can say that the results improved a fair bit after installing this, and the results are returned MUCH faster.  Definitely can recommend.

However, one thing I'm not keen on is the stemming.  It's fine sometimes, but you can't seem to force the search engine to NOT use stemming by putting a search term in quotes.  If I put quotes around a word, it'll still search for the stem as opposed to the literal word.

For instance, on my forum if I search for "coding" (with quotes), here's what I see:

coding.thumb.jpg.15b242ea86f2c8a2aa7da2cb13001372.jpg

Not a single result containing "coding" on the first page of results, just "code" and "codes".  How can I fix this?

..Al

You can't, and in fact this is one of the benefits of using Elasticsearch for most users.

42 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

Does elasticsearch still cause issues when posting?

There are no outstanding issues using Elasticsearch when posting (to my knowledge).

Archived