Community

boon79

What web technologies to use for a big site?

Hi,

What would be the best choice to build a huge website upon? Should I use a framework or build a completely custom platform?

I'm planning to build a very complex learning management site where main functionalities would be: videos, audios, quizzes, chats, payments, messaging, users can interact with each other.

One of the development companies I contacted said they would use WordPress for this, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

The website will have a large user base (millions) very quickly and I expect it to be very busy. I'm not sure WordPress can handle such a big traffic and user activity.

So what kind of technologies or framework would you recommend?

Thanks

There are multiple third party apps from the IPS Marketplace that can accomplish what you want, but they're third party.  This means that support, development, and future releases are not guaranteed.  

If you're building an LMS, you're probably better off using an off the shelf LMS solution that is designed specifically for LMS.  

Hi Joel!

Thanks for your reply.

Actually this will be a very big project and a more than good budget will be provided so I wouldn't want to put it toghether with third party stuff.

I would recommend using something that already exists and is well tested. If you try to build something this large from the ground up, not only will it take a very long time and require a lot of money to fund the development, but every single problem (bug) will have to be rooted out from the ground up (vs an already available and tested software where beta testing and bug fixing has/is already occurring).

What to use specifically? Well, I can only recommend our software. For the LMS portion of this, since you indicated you have a budget to fund that development and are uninterested in using third party resources, you could always email sales@invisionpower.com to get in touch with our custom services department.

But if you were looking elsewhere besides our software, you'll probably get better and more balanced recommendations posting on a neutral third party site.

18 minutes ago, bfarber said:

I would recommend using something that already exists and is well tested. If you try to build something this large from the ground up, not only will it take a very long time and require a lot of money to fund the development, but every single problem (bug) will have to be rooted out from the ground up (vs an already available and tested software where beta testing and bug fixing has/is already occurring).

What to use specifically? Well, I can only recommend our software. For the LMS portion of this, since you indicated you have a budget to fund that development and are uninterested in using third party resources, you could always email sales@invisionpower.com to get in touch with our custom services department.

But if you were looking elsewhere besides our software, you'll probably get better and more balanced recommendations posting on a neutral third party site.

Good to hear IPS is available to support custom services.

Can I ask here about posibility of ips implement Store app inside the clubs? 

6 minutes ago, kmk said:

Can I ask here about posibility of ips implement Store app inside the clubs

Supporting a store front within clubs would require a fairly huge change from how our commerce software works presently. I know the suggestion has been posted in the feedback forum already, and we will evaluate it, but this isn't something we'll just drop in and do in a minor release.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, boon79 said:

The website will have a large user base (millions) very quickly and I expect it to be very busy. I'm not sure WordPress can handle such a big traffic and user activity.

No it wouldn't!

You seem very confident in the user base you are going to receive. Very intriguing, please keep us posted, and good luck

Edited by Steve Bullman