Community

AuntyNem

Closing down a website

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about either transferring an Invision site to someone else or shutting it down. I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and has any tips?

Like are there any issues I need to be especially careful about when transferring the site? It's been online for 7 years and has been collecting certain information on members that whole time (email & IP addresses, etc). Are there legal issues for me to be concerned about if I give that database to someone else?

If I just close shop, but want to keep it online for a year or two as an archive, are there easier ways to do that then adjusting posting permissions for all groups and forums? Anything I need to be sure to disable?

Edited by AuntyNem

9 hours ago, AuntyNem said:

I've been thinking about either transferring an Invision site to someone else or shutting it down. I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and has any tips?

Like are there any issues I need to be especially careful about when transferring the site? It's been online for 7 years and has been collecting certain information on members that whole time (email & IP addresses, etc). Are there legal issues for me to be concerned about if I give that database to someone else?

If I just close shop, but want to keep it online for a year or two as an archive, are there easier ways to do that then adjusting posting permissions for all groups and forums? Anything I need to be sure to disable?

I never closed a site but been part of buy out eg buying the site that closing down, in terms of license etc IPS advise not to give over details but to transfer license over to new account, not sure if this still case but one ticket to staff would solve.

As for data if sold off this is new tricky part many customers might not like there data transfer to new owner but then again might like it if the site active and busy, as for archive the site what does this solve ? Still need keep hosting and domain paid so buying for site that will sooner later drop off google ranks.

You need look at why are closing the site question is because visitor numbers and posts stopped? If so why ! Is because another site better ? Or social media replacing the market ? 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AuntyNem said:

I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and has any tips?

Websites are sold all the time. Regarding privacy concerns: Send out one or two emails several weeks in advance and tell the registered members about the upcoming change of ownership. Give them a clear chance to delete their account before the actual change of ownership. 

Edited by opentype

10 hours ago, opentype said:

Websites are sold all the time. Regarding privacy concerns: Send out one or two emails several weeks in advance and tell the registered members about the upcoming change of ownership. Give them a clear chance to delete their account before the actual change of ownership. 

That ought to make the buyer happy 😆