app key

I wish IPS would just have third party devs add app keys they want to use to some IPS database where we can be sure not to use someone else's key. I obviously don't want to use a key that it turns out someone else uses... so I feel like I have to make some weird app key to be more likely to be unique, rather than ones that are simple words alone. I think someone else already ran into the issue by using a key I used first, for instance, so I am trying to be sure I don't run into the same thing. 🙂 

Of course on apps I am updating, I am stuck with whatever keys I used in the past (well, unless I want to spend a long time coming up with code to rename it or change table names or whatever else). But wanting to be sure for new keys that an issue doesn't arise. I guess I should just add some numbers or letters to my key to be more sure it will be unique?

I'm surprised the situation hasn't come up more, where two end up accidentally with the same key, given so many apps here. The first instinct is to do a simple easy word for a key like blog, gallery, etc.... do.

Possibly about to do a third 4.x app, which would be one with a new key and probably not just a custom app. Didn't matter on the custom ones what I used.

I never experienced such situation. Why? I'm using my own prefix (dp....) or double checking if someone has similar app and then adding this prefix to make sure avoid a conflict.

P.s. plugins has this functionality already. Just leave plugin key field blank. IPS4 will generate unique key.

2 minutes ago, DawPi said:

I never experienced such situation. Why? I'm using my own prefix (dp....) or double checking if someone has similar app and then adding this prefix to make sure avoid a conflict.

P.s. plugins has this functionality already. Just leave plugin key field blank. IPS4 will generate unique key.

yeah I guess that is what I will have to do is like you add a prefix with a couple letters or numbers (if they can have numbers... I don't recall a restriction where you can't). That was what I planned to begin with. I just like nice, neat words, but that's pretty picky on my end, as they can be anything and won't show since FURLs are used, anyway... so I guess no big deal.

Archived