Highlight : SEO Plugin > avoid Google Panda penalty

Hi

I would like to hightlight a plugin i recently ordered to @DawPi :

This plugin automatically adds a noindex to all topics containing less than XXX words (lets say 100 words for instance) you can update the number anytime and reset the noindex

This is a powerful SEO plugin that helps to avoid Google Panda penalty that might happen on communities with large numbers of thin content topics

I recommend it !

Edited by Durango

7 minutes ago, Christforums said:

I think we need to wait for the entire site to be reindexed during which time no-index might be dropped. I suspect this process may take 8-12 weeks. Until then!

We have deleted some of our old topics with no traffic (maybe 20.000 zumbis) some years ago and it was a disaster in google. We lost many new visitors.

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

What happens if the question posed is short, and less than 100 words but the replies are rich and valuable in keywords and education?

Looks like the page is then made to index.

That was one my initial concerns. I run a RSS news feed import and the brief articles (one sentence) created by the rss importer are no index. But as replies are made it appears that the page is then becomes or are made index.

For example, examining the "source" and looking at https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/15597-president-trump-wall/

The following occurs: <meta name="robots" content="index">

However, a short article such as this: https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/26213-donald-trump-rock-star-welcome-for-ilhan-omar-staged-in-minnesota/

<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Edited by Christforums

• 2 weeks later...

Now, before anyone gets really excited one can see that on July 7th I purchased this plugin. Today is less than a month later - August 7th. Now the problem is throughout this month have I not only installed this plugin and seen it work as Google is reporting no-index and actually de-indexing a lot of thin material, but I've also implemented other changes such as making the site W3C Validate. My particular site really suffered from thin content because we use a RSS Importer to create news articles and those are only small clips created from articles and are published. The plugin no-indexed those particular topics but yet when comments filled out below the OP the no index was changed to index.

Since December of 2018 when I migrated from Vbulletin 5 to IPS4 our traffic has been relatively low receiving anywhere from 500-800 visitors in a 24 hour span. Our highest visitors for one 24 hour day had topped out at a little over 900 visitors. I was just surprised to see our daily stats which has now past the mid way tracking for the day. After 12 hours we've set our own personal record using IPS4 and now pushed past 1,048 visitors. If today's trend continues we'll nearly double our traffic. I'm hoping that the changes made in the last 3 weeks or so are finally being noticed by Google's algorithm. The most difficult thing about SEO work is that one has to make changes and wait for Google to reindex the site which can take weeks or months depending on the size. I'm referring to a delayed observation = change, wait, and see.

Your thoughts?
William

Edited by Christforums

Just now, jesuralem said:

Quick question : was your traffic already low prior to your migration?

i am still planning my migration from vb5 to ips and this is always a risky leap...

We were averaging around 850-900 visitors every day for over a year with Vbulletin 5. Immediately after the migration we dipped below 500 visitors a day...... then it slowly crawled upwards when after two months we began averaging 700 visitors a day....... that is until today. In the last week we've noticed a slight upward fluctuation and today it just busted past the average taking us to a new site record.

4 hours ago, jesuralem said:

Quick question : was your traffic already low prior to your migration?

i am still planning my migration from vb5 to ips and this is always a risky leap...

Hi @jesuralem I interviewed several former Vbulletin big board owners who migrated in the article that @AlexWebsites linked. 

They almost all experienced a temporary dip in traffic, then regained their traffic between 3 to 12 months after.  

On 8/2/2019 at 9:00 PM, Christforums said:

Now, before anyone gets really excited one can see that on July 7th I purchased this plugin. Today is less than a month later - August 7th. Now the problem is throughout this month have I not only installed this plugin and seen it work as Google is reporting no-index and actually de-indexing a lot of thin material, but I've also implemented other changes such as making the site W3C Validate. My particular site really suffered from thin content because we use a RSS Importer to create news articles and those are only small clips created from articles and are published. The plugin no-indexed those particular topics but yet when comments filled out below the OP the no index was changed to index.

Since December of 2018 when I migrated from Vbulletin 5 to IPS4 our traffic has been relatively low receiving anywhere from 500-800 visitors in a 24 hour span. Our highest visitors for one 24 hour day had topped out at a little over 900 visitors. I was just surprised to see our daily stats which has now past the mid way tracking for the day. After 12 hours we've set our own personal record using IPS4 and now pushed past 1,048 visitors. If today's trend continues we'll nearly double our traffic. I'm hoping that the changes made in the last 3 weeks or so are finally being noticed by Google's algorithm. The most difficult thing about SEO work is that one has to make changes and wait for Google to reindex the site which can take weeks or months depending on the size. I'm referring to a delayed observation = change, wait, and see.

Your thoughts?
William

Hi William,

Can you share how you are measuring your traffic?

Most accurate is Google Analytics and it seems you maybe counting the cpanel or other type of direct traffic that doesn't filter the bots.

1.6 Million Alexa ranking doesn't tie with 500+ visitors daily. It should have been 500K-600K easily.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/christforums.com#trafficstats

We were getting close to 1K unique traffic earlier, which now dropped since 2 week and our Alexa is around 300-400K

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/carnity.com#trafficstats

Love to hear from others about their real traffic metrics, which very rare user share here.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, Durango said:

Too early to say but will give some feedback in a few months

Many thanks for the suggestion, I will def give this a shot.

Any update from your site since you implemented this.....?