Database Catagories: Sub entries are not visible

dhpunkt

Hello,

I set up a new database having a main category and one sub category.

I created 3 entries, all are inside the sub category (Webentwicklung). Record listing is activated for all categories.

When I select the main category the listing header says that there are 3 entries in the category ("3 Experten in dieser Kategorie"), but no items show up. 

image.thumb.png.71afda86b315899dff3a7e2f339d466f.png

Is this a bug? Either the listing header should say "0 entries" or list all entries including sub categories.

How can I manage it to see all entries including sub categories?

(I tested version 4.3.6 & 4.4.4.)

3 minutes ago, dhpunkt said:

How can I manage it to see all entries including sub categories?

You can’t. It’s a folder principle. You need to open the folder first. 

If it makes sense for your database, I would suggest to actually turn off the option to show records in the parent category. Then only the sub category “folder” is visible and people understand they need to click it. The confusing box at the bottom would disappear. 

Thanks for the fast reply @opentype

It's important for our application that the sub entries are shown, we have only a few entries for every (main) category and it would be not user friendly to let someone click through every sub category.

If there is no easy way to change it, is it maybe possible to use only the main categories and implement sub categories as a filter?

Anyway, if it's not intended that the sub entries are shown, the table header should not say that there are 3 entries. Looks like a bug, doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, dhpunkt said:

If there is no easy way to change it, is it maybe possible to use only the main categories and implement sub categories as a filter?

Yes, absolutely. Remove the sub categories and add a select box or radio field and set it as filter. Then add the filter widget to the page. 

Here is an example: https://typography.guru/directory/

One category layer and if you click into a category, you get the filters: https://typography.guru/directory/app/

2 minutes ago, dhpunkt said:

Looks like a bug, doesn't it?

No. The point of this setup is that you can have entries in that top level category and they would be shown there. The counter correctly shows what is all in this parent category, even if you can’t see the entries. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Yes, absolutely. Remove the sub categories and add a select box or radio field and set it as filter. Then add the filter widget to the page. 

Thanks, the examples look good. I just have to make sure that only the relevant options are shown in the filter. Makes no sense to show subcategories of all main category.

First I thought that I can create a widget with deeplinks to categories with filters, but seems like it's not possible due to the csrf protection. Any change to bypass it?

4 minutes ago, dhpunkt said:

I just have to make sure that only the relevant options are shown in the filter. 

You can set fields per category, including fields used as filters.

4 minutes ago, dhpunkt said:

First I thought that I can create a widget with deeplinks to categories with filters, but seems like it's not possible due to the csrf protection. Any change to bypass it?

Example code to create filter links with CSFR key in the code: 

Archived