Promo/Cover Photo option on Forum

KT Walrus

I'd like to see an option to have an additional field on the topic post form to set a "Promo/Cover" photo for the post. In the ACP, when enabling this option for a specific forum, the Admin should be able to provide a few default photos to be randomly selected as the default value for the additional field in the topic post form. The field may be changed by the poster to any photo attached to the topic (including replies to the topic if the topic post is edited). Or, have a button in the topic view page shown only to the author of the topic post that allows changing the "Promo/Cover" photo to any photo in the topic thread.

This "Promo/Cover" photo may be shown in lists containing the topic (a new forum view option for the forum) or when other users embed a link to the topic/replies in the site or shared to Facebook.

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

As an option, there are topic covers and forum covers available in the Marketplace.  

Those aren't quite what I'm looking for. The image selected by the poster would be shown to "promote" the topic when shared on Facebook or even within the community. I want to list the topic in the forum list of topics in a way that the promo photo is prominent and can get people's attention (not just a list of boring topic titles) kind of like the Marketplace here, but for forum topics. It would not be enabled on every forum and each forum that has this feature enabled would have a potentially big set of default photos to use for the promo photo if the poster doesn't want to bother with uploading their own photos.

Another idea is to have each user be able to upload a set of default promo photos attached to their profile. They could then choose from their default "promo album" or one of the photos in the topic thread. An important part of this feature to me would be to allow changing the promo photo at any time and to any photo in the thread, not just those in the original topic post (that is, choose a photo uploaded by someone other than the topic author).

On 6/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, KT Walrus said:

Those aren't quite what I'm looking for. The image selected by the poster would be shown to "promote" the topic when shared on Facebook or even within the community. I want to list the topic in the forum list of topics in a way that the promo photo is prominent and can get people's attention (not just a list of boring topic titles) kind of like the Marketplace here, but for forum topics. It would not be enabled on every forum and each forum that has this feature enabled would have a potentially big set of default photos to use for the promo photo if the poster doesn't want to bother with uploading their own photos.

Another idea is to have each user be able to upload a set of default promo photos attached to their profile. They could then choose from their default "promo album" or one of the photos in the topic thread. An important part of this feature to me would be to allow changing the promo photo at any time and to any photo in the thread, not just those in the original topic post (that is, choose a photo uploaded by someone other than the topic author).

Doesn't the "Our Picks" feature allow this?

Archived