Does archiving make a site faster?

Square Wheels

We have over 2 million posts on our site and the speed of streams generally aren't a problem.

IIRC, the Unread stream defaults to 365 days so try reducing that to a smaller number such as 7/14/30 days depending on your traffic.

For the activity streams specifically:

• You could enable archiving, and this would likely improve the speed of streams assuming enough content is archived to have an impact (i.e. if you configure the rules so that maybe 5,000 out of 100,000 topics are archived you may not see much difference in speed, but if you configure the rules such that 50K out of 100K topics are archived you will probably see bigger gains, at the cost of those topics being archived now).
  • You could adjust your search configuration in the AdminCP to control the time frame for data that is included in the search index (which streams use). System > Search:
    image.png
  • You could switch from MySQL search to Elasticsearch, which is generally more efficient for larger data sets.

Having said all of that - is it only the Unread content stream that is slow? You may wish to submit a ticket if so, so we can take a look. A few things have toggled and see-sawed related to this stream which should have largely been worked out in 4.4.4, but if that's not the case for you we may need to take another look.

40 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Having said all of that - is it only the Unread content stream that is slow? You may wish to submit a ticket if so, so we can take a look. A few things have toggled and see-sawed related to this stream which should have largely been worked out in 4.4.4, but if that's not the case for you we may need to take another look

It's mostly the Unread topics.  Using Next Unread Topic seems pretty fast, loading the main sites page is pretty fast.  Unread can take 15 - 30 seconds to load.

I'll submit a ticket.  About tickets, I usually submit them as low priority, and you still respond within hours.  :)

Archived