Search by Member in Messenger

AtariAge

14 minutes ago, tonyv said:

It seems like Clubs or private topics would be good choices for such conversations going forward. 

We do have a slew of private development forums already.  Sometimes private conversations will end up morphing into creation of a private forum.  Especially once it's helpful to have multiple threads to discuss various aspects of a project, plus attachments are easier to deal with (they can be kept in the first post of a thread to make them easier to find and update). 

Even though I only moved my forum from 3.4.8 to 4.4.4 a week ago, clubs are already being used for this purpose as well.  But I suspect that private conversations will continue to reign supreme, since they are trivially easy to start and keep tabs on. 

..Al

13 hours ago, AtariAge said:

Yes, it does add to the size of the database, but that's dwarfed by the size of the forum posts (over four million posts).

A better solution would be to remove PMs that haven’t had a reply within x months/years.

44 minutes ago, David.. said:

A better solution would be to remove PMs that haven’t had a reply within x months/years.

I still wouldn't do this, because I periodically need to reference an old conversation that hasn't had a reply in years.

..Al

56 minutes ago, David.. said:

I think the better solution would be make easier to users to delete the old conversation by themselves. At the moment there is no way to sort the conversations from old-to-new (and without pagination there is no way to scroll to the old times), and no way to multiselect the conversations from the search results.

19 minutes ago, Sergey_SV said:

I think the better solution would be make easier to users to delete the old conversation by themselves.

Agreed.  And if you're worried about the size of the database, you can also set a reasonable limit on the number of conversations users can have.  Better to let them delete conversations they no longer need, rather than arbitrarily doing so.

..Al

Archived