Grammarly will it come back to IPS

Davyc

4.4.4 Sees Grammarly disabled - I must admit I never had any problems or issues using Grammarly in any iterations of the IPS suite nor in any of the apps.  Since it is now disabled it has compelled me to use another called Ginger, which whilst good, it is not as good as Grammarly.  I can only say thank goodness that I did not upgrade to the paid version or I would have been out of pocket as I only use it on IPS sites.  With this in mind, is there not an opportunity to discover what issues are prevalent with Grammarly and can they be surmounted?  I would love to see this come back.

With thanks

:happy:

Grammarly and CKEditor do not play well, and we received several bug reports about the same issue(s) related to how Grammarly modifies the DOM within an editor. In short = yes, there was an issue (or a couple of very related issues), and there was no way for us to resolve this outside of disabling Grammarly in the editor.

It may return when we reach a point where we can upgrade to CKEditor 5. It is my understanding that the CKEditor devs and the Grammarly devs are working together on maximum compatibility, but won't be backporting that to CKEditor 4.

6 hours ago, bfarber said:

Grammarly and CKEditor do not play well, and we received several bug reports about the same issue(s) related to how Grammarly modifies the DOM within an editor.

Thanks for the info, though most of it goes above my head lol.  I have to say that I used Grammarly for a good while (along with a few others) and never had an issue with it.  At present I have moved to another Grammarly type spell checker called Ginger and there are no problems with that either.  Having said all of that, I do understand that if there are technical issues then I accept that.  Hopefully, when you can upgrade to 5 Grammarly can come back into the fold.

Much appreciate the response and explanation :biggrin:

I only found an issue when I went back to read an old topic and noticed side scrolling going on. After nailing the post and grammarly user which caused it, went back through the members post history to find multiple pages effected by it. 

Was an easy fix in the end, I told him I would ban him if he didn’t stop using it. He stopped. 😄

3 hours ago, day_ said:

Was an easy fix in the end, I told him I would ban him if he didn’t stop using it. He stopped.

I would have tried this, but it would have been somewhat counterproductive to ban myself lol.

I honestly had no idea that a spell checker could cause such problems - just goes to show that you never know.

:biggrin:

The majority of reports we get were along the lines of "I can't click the Quote/Edit/Options links below this post". We'd investigate and find that Grammarly had inserted a large div into the post which was basically sitting on top of those links, making them unclickable. The issue mostly manifested when editing posts which had quotes in them, but this was not a sole factor.

In any event, as we have no control over Grammarly's behavior or CKEditor's behavior in this context, the best we could do to prevent issues for our clients was to prevent Grammarly from inspecting the post content. You can still of course use their standalone app to write up posts, and then copy/paste those posts into the editor afterwards.

Yeah I have seen the Grammarly problems first hand.

One thing that concerns me though, if grammarly can insert its div and its accepted into the post what is there to stop a user being a PITA and doing it/worse themselves with chrome dev tools?

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Myr said:

Any chance on bringing back Grammarly now that we have a new version?

I think this was based on the conditions that CKEditor gets upgraded to version 5+, and they can confirm that the collaboration between Grammarly and CKEditor was successful and none of the past technical issues would be present.

I'm not sure about the second part, but the first part hasn't happened yet.  Release notes from 4.5 Beta 5

Upgraded CKEditor to 4.14.

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 12:32 PM, Square Wheels said:

I've been using the Chrome extension Microsoft Editor.  I installed Grammarly and didn't like it.

I loved Grammarly, but the Microsoft edit is the pits - for example, it kept telling me that any word with the letter 'i' in it was a spelling mistake and should be a capital 'I' lol.  Also, you're not able to have your own dictionary for spellings out of the norm, so those words or phrases would always be flagged as a mistake.  I also don't like the way it tells you to reword something just because it sounds better lol.  Nah, give me Grammarly any day over the MS Editor.  Shame that it's still not compatible with IPS 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

My conjecture of rambling nonsense into written enlightenment is a byproduct of Grammarly Premium integrated with the Mozilla Firefox web browser for our mutual benefit and enjoyment. While posting here within the Invision community, I have not noticed any technical blunders or otherwise undesirable effects that I have yet to become aware of. Though I must confess, I am astonished to learn that Invision had once incorporated Grammarly into their production.

11 hours ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

Though I must confess, I am astonished to learn that Invision had once incorporated Grammarly into their production.

We did not integrate Grammarly, however it does not work correctly with CKEditor 4 so we had to explicitly disable Grammarly in editor fields in a past release.

👆

I had sites where users were using Grammarly locally via browser extension and were somehow inserting the entire Grammarly JavaScript chunks into the content of their Articles posts they were creating.

Absolute hell to deal with.

I told them to stop and maybe attend a local grammar rodeo to learn moar better grammars.