Preview option and noparse bbcode

Black Tiger

Just have two questions.

1.) My users were asking for a preview option. So I told them that with Invision you don't need it because for example smilies were shown at once.

Same for when using bold or anything, will be changed instantly so no preview option was needed anymore. Is this correct? Is there no preview option of a message anymore? Our users are used to make use of bbcodes and quote and code bbcode manually and they can't see what they are doing when using them manually (so by typing them).
They might have to get used to a different system, but I'm just wondering.

2.) I'm certainly missing the "noparse" bbcode. If we for example want to show some things to our users, things get parsed so we can't show how to use the bbcodes. With the noparse option, there was a possibility to not having everythign parsed and create easy examples also without having to click on everything in the editor. We like to do a lot by just typing too.

Is there no alternative to the noparse bbcode in Invision?

40 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Just have two questions.

1.) My users were asking for a preview option. So I told them that with Invision you don't need it because for example smilies were shown at once.

Same for when using bold or anything, will be changed instantly so no preview option was needed anymore. Is this correct? Is there no preview option of a message anymore?

That’s the preview function:

289351046_Bildschirmfoto2019-06-06um15_13_52.png.1a7f4bbe82bcbb3f6e4fcedd81f4f9f4.png

You should really tell your users that bb code is being phased out and that they should get used to rich text editing using the buttons for quotes, text styling and so on.  

2 hours ago, opentype said:

You should really tell your users that bb code is being phased out and that they should get used to rich text editing using the buttons for quotes, text styling and so on. 

Yep, you are correct. I already did that, but it takes some getting used to.

Especially since my forums aren't that busy anymore and most of the users are also visiting other kind of forums (about computers for example) which are using mostly Xenforo, phpBB and SMF. Like me, several of them have high typing rates and are mostly done more quickly typing a bbcode then clicking thins in the wysiwig.

So... getting used to it still. 🙂

Remember to tell them that they can use keyboard shortcuts for formatting options too. 

I agree that switching from bbcode editor to a modern wysiwyg editor takes some getting used to, but it helps bring forum experiences inline with modern word processing.   

Archived