Identify online guests as crawlers/bots

BankFodder

On 6/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, BankFodder said:

Is there any way that one can automatically identify online guests as crawlers/bots?

Thanks

20 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Thanks - but I have no idea what this means.

Could you clarify please??

Stepping back - what did you mean in your original post by "identify online guests as [bots]"? There is no setting or anything that will add an icon or something in the UI, if that's what you meant. I assumed you meant if you looked manually, or to develop a custom plugin, in which case the column I mentioned in the core_sessions database table denotes if the user is a bot or not, and can be used for your purpose.

Thanks.

Yes, I was hoping that maybe it will be possible to have a function which would allocate an icon or something – a Bot-Spotter.

Other than that, I'm afraid that I still don't understand what you mean about the court sessions database column or how to manipulate it – or even where it is.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:47 AM, BankFodder said:

Thanks.

Yes, I was hoping that maybe it will be possible to have a function which would allocate an icon or something – a Bot-Spotter.

Other than that, I'm afraid that I still don't understand what you mean about the court sessions database column or how to manipulate it – or even where it is.

The information I've provided is a bit more technical than I think you're looking for. I expect you'll need to find a plugin in the marketplace that does what you want, or contract a developer to create one for you.

From a low-level standpoint there is a flag that denotes if a user is a bot or not. This really isn't exposed much in the UI, however, and there are no standard options to do so.

Okay – here's an update. I've had conversations with the developer and it seems that it is only likely to work with private boards – and certainly not mine.

It's not able automatically to recognise a pot and to distinguish apart from a human guest. I understand that and I suppose it would need a database of bot IP addresses which was fairly regularly updated.

Archived