IPS 4.4.3 // .htaccess protection

mvpcurtis

Hi. I'm wondering if someone could help me out with something. It's been a while since I last used/played with IPS and so many versions have come out since. On the older versions, there used to be an option to change the name of your admin directory and apply a .htaccess protected file to it so it would prompt anyone for a username and password for that directory. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find it on this newer version so I'm asking if anyone is able to show me how to do this still. 

Thank you.

I never moved or renamed an admin directory. But .htaccess protection is easy, depending on what webserver you are running. With Nginx you need to do something else.

But the .htaccess protection is easy when using apache 2.2 or 2.4:

Put a .htaccess file in your /admin directory with content like this, adjust the path to your needs

AuthUserFile /home/accountname/domains/yourdomain.com/public_html/admin/.htpasswd
AuthName "Authorized people only"
AuthType Basic

require valid-user

Then create a .htpasswd file in the same directory (being the directory you will point to above) with the username and password.

As there are multiple generator tools to be found on the net for this, I would like to advise not to use them. If you have ssh access it's better to create them yourself.

On this site there is some example on how to do this, it's quite easy.

If you really want to move/rename your admincp, somebody else has to guide you with this.

Archived