Duplicate board for development - how to?

cfish

I need to build a development board that is a duplicate of my main board but on a different domain on the same server. I know I can create a duplicate database on the original domain and link to it from the dev domain and I can copy all the files from the original folder across to a password-protected folder on the dev domain. Having done that, what changes do I need to make to the database/config files to get everything working?

How I do it:

Backup database (will import this later into test forum)

Create a new database

Install ipb to domain wanted then when asked for license number enter your license no with -TESTINSTALL at the end (for database use the new one you created)

once done then import your database via phpmyadmin (or whatever you use to import/export databases)

NOTE:

1) Once you have set this as your test forum you cannot change it to another url at later date

2) You must make sure it is not available to the public ... e.g. must be password protected or ip locked as no one can use this apart from the owner (reason why called test install).

Thanks for the response @steve00 Your method works just fine if I want a fresh install using the existing content. However, I want an exact duplicate, including the theme etc. What I'd like to do is copy the local files in order to achieve this but realise that there must be some config changes needed to make this work.

The reason for this is that I will be installing some new applications to the suite (downloads and commerce) and I'd like to do a dry-run on a duplicate board so I can theme the new components in keeping with the main board.

2 hours ago, cfish said:

Thanks for the response @steve00 Your method works just fine if I want a fresh install using the existing content. However, I want an exact duplicate, including the theme etc. What I'd like to do is copy the local files in order to achieve this but realise that there must be some config changes needed to make this work.

The reason for this is that I will be installing some new applications to the suite (downloads and commerce) and I'd like to do a dry-run on a duplicate board so I can theme the new components in keeping with the main board.

As I stated, backup database and import into new installation ... duplicate created (including themes as they are stored in database)

Above assuming using latest version of IPB and not 3.0 or earlier ?

Archived