Large Blank Space in Quotes / Mod Functions Disabled

Evening!

I've got a one-off issue, shown below, that I wonder if anyone has seen and/or fixed before.  I have a single member in my forums (Windows 10 64 bit, Chrome) who, when she quotes selections longer than a few sentences or entire posts, ends up with random numbers and massive blank space in the quote field.  Staff with all permission levels right up to root admin have tried to edit her comments to remove this blank space, but the "edit" and "moderator actions" links aren't clickable.  This is true only for the comments in which this happens - we have no trouble moderating the rest of the thread.

She's the only member this happens with.  We're completely puzzled.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to answer questions if it will help diagnose the problem.  Thanks for your time!

forumglitch.thumb.png.14457c8c2d0934e1ae672b2044a9d8db.png

Have you looked to see what the posts or the user record looks like in the database itself (if you are self-hosted)? Compare their user record to someone in the same group who is normal. Also, look at some of the posts themselves to see what they look like compared with a normal post.

oh, and have them try creating a new user and posting a test post to see if the problem continues or not. That will help you isolate the issue.

I had a user with something similar once a while ago and it turned out to be a bad plugin in their browser, but I was able to edit the posts and remove the garbage. But the fact that you can’t edit the posts suggests something different. 

21 hours ago, Pupper Puppet said:

Evening!

I've got a one-off issue, shown below, that I wonder if anyone has seen and/or fixed before.  I have a single member in my forums (Windows 10 64 bit, Chrome) who, when she quotes selections longer than a few sentences or entire posts, ends up with random numbers and massive blank space in the quote field.  Staff with all permission levels right up to root admin have tried to edit her comments to remove this blank space, but the "edit" and "moderator actions" links aren't clickable.  This is true only for the comments in which this happens - we have no trouble moderating the rest of the thread.

She's the only member this happens with.  We're completely puzzled.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to answer questions if it will help diagnose the problem.  Thanks for your time!

forumglitch.thumb.png.14457c8c2d0934e1ae672b2044a9d8db.png

We've seen Grammerly causing this issue, the upcoming release of 4.4.4 contains a change to address this.

Archived