Move my forum folder to root site. How to do it?

Assuming you're on version 4 and self-hosted, the summary of the process is:

1. Move the contents of your installation directory to the root of your domain on your server. (Any questions on this I would suggest reaching out to your hosting provider)
  2. Edit the URL in your conf_global.php file to reflect the file move in step 1. (depending on how old your community is this may be board_url or base_url)
  3. Go to ACP -> System -> Support -> Something isn't working correctly to clear your cache.
  4. Go to your Client Area ->Manage Purchases -> select your license -> scroll down to "Licensed URLs" -> click "Change URL." (this bit is the final piece to the puzzle to update your license URL on file)

This is not something that comes part of the software and would need to be done outside by yourself, hosting provider or a knowledgeable party that you work with.

A warning I can provide is that your current URL includes "/forum" and this is also a reserved FURL in our software so need to be mindful of that as you're writing these redirects.

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, Jim M said:

This is not something that comes part of the software and would need to be done outside by yourself, hosting provider or a knowledgeable party that you work with.

A warning I can provide is that your current URL includes "/forum" and this is also a reserved FURL in our software so need to be mindful of that as you're writing these redirects.

Hello @Jim M. My actual url forum is www.website.com/foro  ( "foro" is "forum" in spanish). I will move my forum to www.website.com and I thank you if you tell me how the redirects would be in .htaccess

I will also update the friendly urls in ACP so that the word "forum" is converted in "foro" and "topic" in "tema"

35 minutes ago, pequeno said:

Hello @Jim M. My actual url forum is www.website.com/foro  ( "foro" is "forum" in spanish). I will move my forum to www.website.com and I thank you if you tell me how the redirects would be in .htaccess

I will also update the friendly urls in ACP so that the word "forum" is converted in "foro" and "topic" in "tema"

I assume that you have done all of steps that Jim has suggested above. The process is the same, however if you have the knowledge for it, you would need to edit the nginx/apache configs and .htaccess accordingly.

First off,

1. Make sure to change any RewriteConditions on .htaccess from /foro/ to just /. There may be some of them on the main .htaccess file you can find on the Invision Community Marketplace.
  2.  Regarding your apache/nginx configurations, I would suggest getting someone that knows how the software works and working with them as it can vary depending on your configuration.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Jim M said:

Go to your Client Area ->Manage Purchases -> select your license -> scroll down to "Licensed URLs" -> click "Change URL." (this bit is the final piece to the puzzle to update your license URL on file)

Doesn´t work.

Error:

"There seems to still be an installation of Invision Community at the URL on file. Before you can change the URL, you must first remove the existing installation."

I'm waiting for support to update my license anfd then update the forum to 4.5 version. Everything else works fine.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:55 AM, pequeno said:

Doesn´t work.

Error:

"There seems to still be an installation of Invision Community at the URL on file. Before you can change the URL, you must first remove the existing installation."

I'm waiting for support to update my license anfd then update the forum to 4.5 version. Everything else works fine.

Solved by support.

The "Change URL" should be done without any active redirection from the old domain to the new one.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Jim M said:

Assuming you're on version 4 and self-hosted, the summary of the process is:

1. Move the contents of your installation directory to the root of your domain on your server. (Any questions on this I would suggest reaching out to your hosting provider)
  2. Edit the URL in your conf_global.php file to reflect the file move in step 1. (depending on how old your community is this may be board_url or base_url)
  3. Go to ACP -> System -> Support -> Something isn't working correctly to clear your cache.
  4. Go to your Client Area ->Manage Purchases -> select your license -> scroll down to "Licensed URLs" -> click "Change URL." (this bit is the final piece to the puzzle to update your license URL on file)

did you do all these steps? @claustrier

11 minutes ago, claustrier said:

Hello,

I have move forum to sub directory and follow all steps.

Right now I can see the forum but not able to open any topics. It gives 404 Not found error.

Any help would be helpful.

Thank you

Check your .htaccess as it still is likely referencing your old folder name and would need to be adjusted. You can download a new one in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Rewrite URLs. If that is not it, one of our techs can assist further in your ticket.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Check your .htaccess as it still is likely referencing your old folder name and would need to be adjusted. You can download a new one in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Rewrite URLs. If that is not it, one of our techs can assist further in your ticket.

Yes, I forgot to update .htaccess. It works now.

Could you please help me to redirect URL like

https://www.example.com/topic/1234

to

https://www.example.com/forum/topic/1234

Old URLs are not working right now.

Edited by claustrier