Community

TSP

Users be able to turn off new device notifications

Some of the members on a community I work on are very privacy oriented. This means that they often delete their cookies in the browser and log out between every visit... 

They get quite annoyed about the device notifications and wish to be able to turn them off. 

Would it be possible to have a way to turn off these notifications from the device section of the control panel. 

Changing the setting would of course need to require you to input your password or confirm with 2FA. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Typically you can just shut them off from within your browser. In Chrome, for instance, if I click the lock icon I can do so:

I'm talking about the notification sent to your email address when you log in to your account from a new device.

Edited by TSP

1 hour ago, TSP said:

I'm talking about the notification sent to your email address when you log in to your account from a new device.

BEEDB9A6-D39F-4FAA-9F0D-21105207C85A.thumb.jpeg.98cfb289f5248b3a8e88485283da3e49.jpeg

*sigh*

I know about that global setting. I'm requesting a user level setting. Which people should be able to understand from my first post.

I've had some members complain about the new device emails recently too. I agree a User Level Email Notification setting would be helpful for those users that do not wish to receive these emails. Since it is only a global setting and one that I use, I don't want to disable it.

The other issue though is that when cookies are not present, IPB counts it as a new device even if on a previously used hardware and IP address. Chrome and Firefox privacy modes ignore "always allowed cookies" settings for each new session, which causes a new device record for every new Incognito session. The user's complaining in my case always browse in Incognito sessions.