Users be able to turn off new device notifications

TSP

Some of the members on a community I work on are very privacy oriented. This means that they often delete their cookies in the browser and log out between every visit... 

They get quite annoyed about the device notifications and wish to be able to turn them off. 

Would it be possible to have a way to turn off these notifications from the device section of the control panel. 

Changing the setting would of course need to require you to input your password or confirm with 2FA. 

50 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Typically you can just shut them off from within your browser. In Chrome, for instance, if I click the lock icon I can do so:

I'm talking about the notification sent to your email address when you log in to your account from a new device.

I've had some members complain about the new device emails recently too. I agree a User Level Email Notification setting would be helpful for those users that do not wish to receive these emails. Since it is only a global setting and one that I use, I don't want to disable it.

The other issue though is that when cookies are not present, IPB counts it as a new device even if on a previously used hardware and IP address. Chrome and Firefox privacy modes ignore "always allowed cookies" settings for each new session, which causes a new device record for every new Incognito session. The user's complaining in my case always browse in Incognito sessions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Matt. I just had another similar user complain about it this week actually. 

If it would be feasible with a sort of in-between setting, then I guess one way to do it, while still maintaining a level of notification would be either: 

• Monthly or bi-weekly digest if any new devices have been discovered in the time-frame. 
  • In-between setting that does a qualified guess based on other data. IP-address/location of previous login attempt, previous browser data and other data about previous logins, like usual time of day/login pattern. This would then be ranked either low risk or  high risk. (Possibly throw in a medium risk as well). And then you could choose what levels you'd like to receive. 

On 5/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, day_ said:

Sorry for trying to be helpful, wasn’t aware you was aware of the global setting. 

*sigh*

I'm sorry. I just felt I communicated clearly in the first post what my suggestion was about. To then have a second person, in a short amount of time, misunderstand what I meant, and me feeling like people didn't read my post and believe I was new to the platform, on a bad day, was making me respond in such a manner. Apparently though, I didn't communicate clear enough and provide enough details in my post, since people made those misunderstandings. Sorry for my response.

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, TSP said:

Some of the members on a community I work on are very privacy oriented.

18 minutes ago, Tripp★ said:

Just to add support in this topic. I've had a couple of members complain about this, and it sounds quite annoying. I think they're using some kind of privacy/incognito mode, so every-time the log in, they get a new email. 

Man, an email?!? Doesn't take a lot to set some people off. I just counted all the email addresses I have pushed to my smartphone. There are ten. I was annoyed by the daily emails from shutterfly so I unsubscribed. I'm pretty privacy minded, but I doubt most privacy minded people are having any emails pushed to their smartphones. Would love to check out your forum. What's the site address?

9 hours ago, tonyv said:

Man, an email?!? Doesn't take a lot to set some people off. I just counted all the email addresses I have pushed to my smartphone. There are ten. I was annoyed by the daily emails from shutterfly so I unsubscribed. I'm pretty privacy minded, but I doubt most privacy minded people are having any emails pushed to their smartphones. Would love to check out your forum. What's the site address?

No. Not an email. The same email multiple times a day. A small minority (Granted) of members on my site, login every time they come onto the site, it is those that are... Okay complaining might be too strong of a word. But to lack a better word, are complaining about receiving 10-15 (or more) emails a day on the subject, depending on how many times they come to the site. At the moment I have suggested to them that they set up a rule in their email clients to put email's like that into a folder that they can periodically delete, but because it is the minority (extreme minority) I am not willing to turn off such a valuable feature, globally.

Also my forum is NSFW, so I'm not posting a link up here or in private messages. 

Archived