Very slow post adding on forum

39 minutes ago, wegorz23 said:

It doesn't matter how many users nad post you have (oh, it has, but not so big). The main thing is the topic where you post. We have for example new one topic with 0 watching users, and there posting is pretty fast. But in old topic with for example 50-100 watching users its broken...

This is the follower count from a community using the PHP email method, without having any kind of slowness when adding posts.

image.png.0820e48b722ca0187a3213a1bb58b69a.png

EDIT: Here's the query if anyone else is curious about these numbers

SELECT COUNT(*) as followers, follow_area, follow_rel_id, follow_notify_freq 
FROM `core_follow` WHERE follow_notify_freq != 'none' 
GROUP BY follow_area, follow_rel_id, follow_notify_freq
ORDER BY `followers` DESC

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok thank you. So its something with our server. I have asked them, but this is dedicated server, so they are not for that... 

10 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

The mail php function uses the default mail setup of your Operating System .

Yes, I also think, that it works with default setup on OS on machine. So problem must be in other place. ;/

No offense please, but this thread seems to go on and on with hundreds of posts, with no conclusion or definite answer, because neither you're in primary control of your server (i.e. able to do the server-side tweaks yourself in realtime to check the issue – as your SysAdmin is incharge) nor anyone here can predict without analyzing your server-side configurations what's the cause of the issue. In a nutshell, the issue seems to be with your host, so try to fix that in consultation with your SysAdmin, unless you want to implement with the suggestions that many fellas here have suggested.

5 hours ago, wegorz23 said:

The problem is that from may it shows almost everything for us like "others". So we see mass mailing, notifications and registers like one number. We are using Newsletters plugin, maybe that's why? But I have asked @HeadStand and she said me, that plugin is used only for mass mailing... so I don't know. Maybe IPS broke something? Do you have normal stats with different positions, or only "others" like we?

"Other" here means there were emails of a specific type logged, but we don't have a conclusive language string to represent them. This is typically from third party addons, but it's difficult to answer definitively without looking at your database. You can run this query to get a raw list of all email types sent

SELECT distinct(extra_data) FROM `core_statistics` where type='emails_sent'

2 hours ago, Lucas James said:

No offense please, but this thread seems to go on and on with hundreds of posts, with no conclusion or definite answer, because neither you're in primary control of your server (i.e. able to do the server-side tweaks yourself in realtime to check the issue – as your SysAdmin is incharge) nor anyone here can predict without analyzing your server-side configurations what's the cause of the issue. In a nutshell, the issue seems to be with your host, so try to fix that in consultation with your SysAdmin, unless you want to implement with the suggestions that many fellas here have suggested.

Yeah, its long, but most of it was some suggestions, that was appreciated and implemented. Thank you for all the help. We will try to make it better with our admin.

10 minutes ago, bfarber said:

"Other" here means there were emails of a specific type logged, but we don't have a conclusive language string to represent them. This is typically from third party addons, but it's difficult to answer definitively without looking at your database. You can run this query to get a raw list of all email types sent

Its looks for me that Newsletters plugin is sending all the stuff from forum. But author said to me, that it handle only mass mails... so I don't know. We will check this Select thank you.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

Thank you for this, I discovered I did not have email logging enabled.  So I turned that on and will use the above query in a few days to get an idea of how many mails the forum is sending out.

..Al

Ok, just to inform you, at this moment we are on sendgrid now and it works very fast.

But I want to discover why on this stats everything we have is "Other". Can it be related with this plugin:

@HeadStand said to me, that it should no impact on it - its only used to mass mailing. So why almost everything on this stats is "other" position? Anyone else with this plugin can check it please?

@Giray for example.

37 minutes ago, wegorz23 said:

Ok, just to inform you, at this moment we are on sendgrid now and it works very fast.

But I want to discover why on this stats everything we have is "Other". Can it be related with this plugin:

@HeadStand said to me, that it should no impact on it - its only used to mass mailing. So why almost everything on this stats is "other" position? Anyone else with this plugin can check it please?

@Giray for example.

I just want to add that we were having the same issue as you. I haven't read the whole topic, so forgive me if I have touched on anything already discussed, but we had the same issues as you are reporting.

When our members were posting to a thread with 500 posts or more it would take a long time between the time that you post and until the post would refresh and displayed on the page. We found out that the issue was directly tied into our mail server not being able to handle the amount of new emails being sent out at that time. There was a time where we would lock a topic to around 500 posts and start another while we were trying to debug the issue.

We found out that the was us using SMTP to send mail, we changed over to SparkPost to send mail and the issue stopped for us. We also found using PHP also helped with the issue as well.

If you are using an Application to send out Emails (Especially if you have a large volume of members) at a time when you are busy, then you will be taxing your system even more when you have a high volume of posts on your forum.

If Headstands application allows you to send out Emails at a specific time, then I would set it up during a period where your forum doesn't have a lot of activity. For us we found that between 1am to 6am was a good time to schedule anything to do with emails without disrupting the rest of the forum.

As I said, if I have touched on anything which has already been discussed, I'm sorry and feel free to ignore 😉

Hi @wegorz23

Just for info and being helpful, I happened to visit your site following your blog comment on Clubs Pages where you posted the link. You've done a great job on integrating them, mine suck, but I was amazed at how many ads you have; on some pages I almost couldn't tell which was content and which was adverts!

So after realising you were the person having some occasional performance issues in this topic (er, perhaps I should rephrase that!), out of interest, I went back and ran a GTMetrix bench test on your homepage and unfortunately it isn't good.

1A31DCBD-A770-4982-B15D-1886ACB668E2.thumb.png.8a174d466fd3e4cd55f75d64eff4d38b.png

I think you could get a good performance boost by following their recommendations. The other reason for letting you know was in relation to Google supposedly going  to highlight slow sites in visitor's browsers, you might need some time to look into some of this this.

Anyway, hope this helps with your mission.

• 1 month later...

Archived