Embed Streamable

Embed Streamable is a very simple plugin with one task and one task only: Add support for automatically embedding Streamable videos in posts.

There are no settings or options, you just enable the plugin and let your users embed videos from Streamable!

Known issues:

As of version 1.0.0, there are no known issues.

Planned features:

No planned features at this time, but requests are welcome.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for making this! Although there is one small thing: it only works if you paste as plain text and not as rich text which is the default, so for the majority of users who don't know better this won't work for them.

In contrast, the built-in embedded support in IPS (like for youtube URL's) works fine with rich text pasting.

I think this would be a fantastic little upgrade to your plugin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:45 AM, Brainy S. said:

Thanks for making this! Although there is one small thing: it only works if you paste as plain text and not as rich text which is the default, so for the majority of users who don't know better this won't work for them.

In contrast, the built-in embedded support in IPS (like for youtube URL's) works fine with rich text pasting.

I think this would be a fantastic little upgrade to your plugin.

Thank you for your post!

I have, however, not been able to reproduce your issue. Would you mind sharing some more information, such as your OS and browser, and describe the issue in detail? When I paste a Streamable URL in the default editor, the video is embedded automatically for me. I paste the URL using CMD + V (equivalent CTRL + V on Windows) on my Mac. How do you paste the URL?

I'm on a Mac as well, using Safari and Mojave.

So if I do a normal "rich" paste of a URL using CMD+V it doesn't get converted, but if I do a plain-text paste using CMD+OPT+SHIFT+V it does get converted properly.

The built-in processor for Youtube URLs in IPS handles this fine (works either way) but your processor I could only get when force-pasting plain text. 

So for example, take a streamable URL and paste it into the Notes App and press enter. It gets underlined and converted to rich text. Copy and paste that into IPS and it won't work with your processor (for me anyway!) but does if it's a Youtube URL. And although I mention this as a specific test you can try, even copying plain text (like from a Safari URL address bar) still seems to get pasted and presumably IPS is automatically converting into a Rich Text URL causing your processor to fail based on my testing. This testing method (copying, pasting, and recopying from Notes App before) is meant to make sure the text in the URL is in fact rich text.

I hope this explanation helps maybe?

Anyway, I will test this out again and also try some other browsers. I can also try this on older versions of macOS as well to see if that makes a difference and let you know.

Edited by Brainy S.
15 minutes ago, Brainy S. said:

I hope this explanation helps maybe?

It helps very much, thank you for taking your time to explain the details! It seems we're using the same browser and the same version of MacOS.

However, the steps you're describing is exactly what I'm doing myself. If I copy a Streamable URL from the Safari address bar and paste it into the editor, the URL is automatically converted to an embedded video. The URL is automatically underlined when I paste it, and then converted to a video when I press enter.

Have you tested this with several different Streamable URLs? Would you be able to send me the URLs so I can test them on my forum?

I will test with different URLs later today, as well as do the Notes app procedure you described.

In the short video below, I follow your instructions and end up with an embedded video. Your shortest URL works, but using the long one I get a «The link could not be embedded because there is no video at that URL» error message. I have identified this bug and will release a fix shortly.

I included a keyboard viewer in the lower right corner, so you can see that all I do is press CMD + V in Safari.

Would you be so kind and confirm that this is what you’ve been doing, but with a different result?

Edited by Runar

Hey again, so I did have a chance to test it and I have to apologize as I think the problem was on my end and I think you're all good! 

I think there may have been some formatting in my Notes App that I was using to copy and paste to/from.

The bottom line is that your plugin has no problem embedding pasted links, whether they are plain text or rich text, so long as there is no additional formatting within the URL (like the URL is bolded or some such). This is the same functionality level as the built-in embedding, such as Youtube links.

Thanks for jumping on this, even though it turns out it was all my bad!

Edited by Brainy S.
  • 2 years later...

What's new in version 1.1.0

Version 1.1.0 is now available in the Marketplace! New in this version is support for 4.6, and a small update to the language strings.

Improvements

• Update language string to match the latest from Invision Community.