Password Recovery

Midnight Modding

Shouldn't there be a way to reset password within the upgrade routine login? For the second time I just ended up in a situation where I forgot my pw and the site wouldn't load, due to errors from having the new files up, so the only place I could have a page load was the login for upgrade pages.

Turns out I had an even older version than I thought on that site... 4.1.16. So luckily had the files to reupload that version and get the reset pw to work.

Also I am surprised it even let me reset it. I could have sworn another time when I tried to reset my pw on one of my forum sites it said it wasn't allowed for the root admin account?

The reason I ended up in this situation is it was so long since I upgraded, I flat couldn't remember my pow. haha.

Also, another problem with that site is bots kept spamming the contact us link... and there was no way to disable the feature, from what I could tell. I haven't even used the site in years because it was impossible to deal with.

8 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Shouldn't there be a way to reset password within the upgrade routine login? For the second time I just ended up in a situation where I forgot my pw and the site wouldn't load, due to errors from having the new files up, so the only place I could have a page load was the login for upgrade pages.

In 4.3 and higher, when logging into the upgrader, you will need to use an email address / display name and password using the standard, internal login handler. If you normally use a different method for logging into your community, you can bypass logging into the upgrader by adding this line to constants.php:

define( 'BYPASS_UPGRADER_LOGIN', TRUE );

8 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Also, another problem with that site is bots kept spamming the contact us link... and there was no way to disable the feature, from what I could tell. I haven't even used the site in years because it was impossible to deal with.

2019-04-23_09-48-12.thumb.png.d1f9104ba0b681bdf8eea77b82b8a806.png

9 minutes ago, DawPi said:

2019-04-23_09-48-12.thumb.png.d1f9104ba0b681bdf8eea77b82b8a806.png

Thanks. I somehow missed that contact us one. Only thing is I assume it would hurt in search results, but my sites are dead, anyway, so... I don't know what the deal is, but as soon as I bought that domain and started up the forum, immediately the forums were spammed like crazy, then I disabled posting and they spammed the contact us... Not sure how that quickly it was spammed so badly.

Also, thanks for the bypass line. Oddly enough, I saw that line somewhere yesterday, but not when troubleshooting my pw issue, so I didn't read the context of what it was for. I wonder how I even came across it...

6 hours ago, Mark said:

You should invest in a password manager 😉 

I know. People tell me that and I keep not getting around to it. And I "misremembered" which version I already had it updated to, so kept putting the wrong files on there to get it back to its previous state.

Actually, though, I am a bit paranoid about pw managers because then someone could end up getting into that, too, then they have all of them.

Archived