Photo Competition (Support Topic)

2 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

It will still run monthly but yes you can alter any of the text using the regular language tools in the admin control panel 

So if I just wanted to run a one-off contest for several weeks and then turn it off can I do that?

We normally run an annual contest each year. Voting spans several weeks. Then we pick a winner and send prizes. The contest comes back the next year. Do you see any limitations? I already purchased and installed so I am trying to figure out how to adapt what I was doing to this.

56 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

The competition starts at the beginning of the month and finishes at the end. There’s currently no way to have it span several weeks unfortunately. 

I can look into allowing custom durations but can’t promise anything. 

Hmm. Well I guess I can't use it for our contest then. No worries. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Michael R said:

So if I just wanted to run a one-off contest for several weeks and then turn it off can I do that?

We normally run an annual contest each year. Voting spans several weeks. Then we pick a winner and send prizes. The contest comes back the next year. Do you see any limitations? I already purchased and installed so I am trying to figure out how to adapt what I was doing to this.

This is what we need also. Just run a contest as a one-time-action and then pause till next contest ist planned. There should be a history for the previous contests with winners and prizes. But there should not be any "automatic" contest each month.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so last month I had people submit entries, but then they disappeared at the start of this month. They aren't showing up in "Past winners" or whatever it's called. How do I get them to show up? It's kind of pointless if people can't see who won after the month ends. 

6 hours ago, ProSkill said:

Okay, so last month I had people submit entries, but then they disappeared at the start of this month. They aren't showing up in "Past winners" or whatever it's called. How do I get them to show up? It's kind of pointless if people can't see who won after the month ends. 

This sounds like a bug with the task. Can you send me a PM with access info so I can look into this please?

On 5/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, Steve Bullman said:

will this work with 4.3.6 please?

No this will work with 4.4 or higher only.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:59 AM, Andy Millne said:

This sounds like a bug with the task. Can you send me a PM with access info so I can look into this please?

No this will work with 4.4 or higher only.

Sorry, I don't provide access to my board to third parties. I am happy to provide screenshots though. Again, the previous winners is completely empty. It's like it's just wiping out all entries at the start of a new month. Unless, i have to manually select the winner or something. 

11 hours ago, ProSkill said:

Sorry, I don't provide access to my board to third parties.

Without being able to view the environment the only thing I can think of is you might not have the PHP Internationalisation extension installed. If you don't have that then install it and re-run the task. In 1.1 I have removed this requirement and added a fallback.

I'm working on 1.1 and would like to get some thoughts from a few people on the subject of SEO.

On the sites I have seen using this so far, most of the content aside from the image is imo "thin". Comments such as "great photo", emoji etc.

Currently, I'm planning to add structured markup similar to the Gallery application as that is essentially what it is with each competition being a separate gallery. I would like to here people's thoughts on this though to see what people think should be no-indexed, no-followed etc if anything?

1 hour ago, Andy Millne said:

Without being able to view the environment the only thing I can think of is you might not have the PHP Internationalisation extension installed. If you don't have that then install it and re-run the task. In 1.1 I have removed this requirement and added a fallback.

I'm working on 1.1 and would like to get some thoughts from a few people on the subject of SEO.

On the sites I have seen using this so far, most of the content aside from the image is imo "thin". Comments such as "great photo", emoji etc.

Currently, I'm planning to add structured markup similar to the Gallery application as that is essentially what it is with each competition being a separate gallery. I would like to here people's thoughts on this though to see what people think should be no-indexed, no-followed etc if anything?

If you are looking for feature ideas I am happy to write up how I would like to use the app for our picture contests.

5 minutes ago, Michael R said:

If you are looking for feature ideas I am happy to write up how I would like to use the app for our picture contests.

I have a fixed feature set I want to get into 1.1 due for release in the next few weeks but yes, please share your feature ideas for 1.2 and beyond.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:22 AM, Andy Millne said:

Okay, so I should be all set when I upgrade to 1.1?

After upgrading I get this error when clicking on "Active Competition": 

Error: Call to undefined method IPS\competition\Entry::currentLeaders() (0)
#0 /home/mysite/public_html/applications/competition/modules/front/potm/index.php(47): IPS\competition\modules\front\potm\_index->index()
#1 /home/mysite/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\competition\modules\front\potm\_index->execute()
#2 /home/mysite/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#3 {main}

When clicking on a previously submitted photo (prior to the 1.1 upgrade) I get this: 

700646697_ScreenShot05-19-19at02_15PM.PNG.507fc7ae2c36e254ef71abfac19a346e.PNG

38 minutes ago, ProSkill said:

After upgrading I get this error when clicking on "Active Competition": 

Error: Call to undefined method IPS\competition\Entry::currentLeaders() (0)
#0 /home/mysite/public_html/applications/competition/modules/front/potm/index.php(47): IPS\competition\modules\front\potm\_index->index()
#1 /home/mysite/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\competition\modules\front\potm\_index->execute()
#2 /home/mysite/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#3 {main}

When clicking on a previously submitted photo (prior to the 1.1 upgrade) I get this: 

700646697_ScreenShot05-19-19at02_15PM.PNG.507fc7ae2c36e254ef71abfac19a346e.PNG

The first is an error from the old block. If you open the block manager and remove it that should clear that up. The second is because of the url change. Redirects are listed in the change log to fix that or you can edit the furl settings in the admin control panel to set it back to potm. 

Would uninstalling and then reinstalling fix the issue? Edit: I reinstalled and everything is working fine.  Fyi, I wasn't able to remove the "block" on the competition page as instructed as there was no block. It appears to be hard coded. Also, has the task issue that you mentioned been fixed? 

Edited by ProSkill

Has anyone had success getting the latest version to work using the following code. We are still getting errors

RewriteRule ^potm/([0-9]+)-([a-z]+)/?$ /competition/entry/$1-$2/ [R=301,NC,L]
RewriteRule ^potm/(.*)$ /competition/$1 [R=301,NC,L]