Jump to content

Community

Andy Millne

Photo Competition (Support Topic)

Recommended Posts

Is there a pages block/sidebar widget to show the current ranking, top photo, last winner, etc, without visiting the application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Andy.

This might be out of the scopes of the app, but would there be a way to add more winners? If I can add my own icons/images for the places, and make around 10 winners and being able to change the title of winning places.

e.g. 1st Place = Winner of [name of even], 2nd Place = [runner up] - plus being able to show x amount of winners on the main page and not just top 3, but have that option to show just 3, or 4, or 6 or the full 10+

I've got ideas on how to use this for general use over the year and run one big event on which we run once a year.

Edited by CP_User

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently it will only show the top 3 although it will show ties for each position. I do have plans to add a photo of the year from the previous year's monthly entries however. If you know my development style I don't like to overcomplicate things so it's not likely I will add changes to support top 5 etc in the hall of fame. What I may do however is add a link in the hall of fame for "runners up" so that a table of all the entries is shown separately for each month if anybody wants to dive deeper. I'll be making continual improvements but I'm very picky 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy Millne said:

Currently it will only show the top 3 although it will show ties for each position. I do have plans to add a photo of the year from the previous year's monthly entries however. If you know my development style I don't like to overcomplicate things so it's not likely I will add changes to support top 5 etc in the hall of fame. What I may do however is add a link in the hall of fame for "runners up" so that a table of all the entries is shown separately for each month if anybody wants to dive deeper.

Understandable, which is why I asked. Thanks for getting back to me though. much appreciated! ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to hide votes and views up until certain date? Can you setup many competitions at once? Is it hardcoded to be monthly competition or date can be set?

Very interested in this app, I do have yearly photo competition that I currently do with the help of Pages and Forums, but having a dedicated app can be much smoother! However, I definitely prefer to not be able to view the number of votes before the competition ends. Even if author can be hidden it will be good. Basically, options to avoid subjective votes based on personal sympathy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jair101 said:

Is it possible to hide votes and views up until certain date? Can you setup many competitions at once? Is it hardcoded to be monthly competition or date can be set?

These aren't currently features. Yes it's hardcoded to monthly though I plan on adding yearly from the previous months entries. I do not plan on adding support for multiple competitions to run concurrently. I like your suggestion for not making votes and views public and for hiding the author. Perhaps this could be simplified into a single setting to avoid subjectivity like you say. From personal experience knowing the vote count seems to foster competition and increased sharing on social media but I can see some communities would benefit. I'll add it to the suggestions list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Support for clubs? 

Custom images for the top three winners? 

There is currently no support for clubs. What do you mean by custom images for winners please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

There is currently no support for clubs. What do you mean by custom images for winners please?

The little trophy icons, which are currently using the ones from the Leaderboard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this concept. Could be very useful for photography forums.

I'd love to see support for having custom "themes" every month, instead of just a generic "Photo of the Month" every month.

Like, for photography communities there are often monthly competitions for nightscape photography, pets, portraits, astrophotography, and so on.

Might be a bit time consuming to implement but if it strikes your interest I think this would be a great addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Makoto said:

I'd love to see support for having custom "themes" every month, instead of just a generic "Photo of the Month" every month.

You can do this already. There doesn’t need to be specific support. You can edit the intro text setting to state what the current month’s theme is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

You can do this already. There doesn’t need to be specific support. You can edit the intro text setting to state what the current month’s theme is. 

Fair enough, but then it would change when previewing previous months winners and such too, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very nice. Would be great if there was a way to have maybe a 3rd view to show sponsors each month or the prize each month, this way you could showcase your contest sponsors in a separate view showing past (with the winner) and future contests coming up. Might encourage more sponsorship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi re this setting: Max votes per month

Is that how many votes a user can vote per competition, or how many votes the competition itself can have?

Thanks

Hi,

Also does the competition auto close on the last day of the month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Is that how many votes a user can vote per competition, or how many votes the competition itself can have?

It's the number of votes a single user has per month. If it is set to 5 for example, a user can vote on 5 entries in that month and then the following month they get another 5.

22 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

Also does the competition auto close on the last day of the month?

Yes. entries will stop showing in the current month view and a task runs to add the top 3 to the previous winners tab.

As soon as the next month starts people can enter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant thanks

Feature request for future - It would be great to have an RSS feed of the entries so we can push them out automatically to our social media accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

It would be great to have an RSS feed of the entries so we can push them out automatically to our social media accounts.

What would you use to do this out of interest? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

What would you use to do this out of interest? 

We use https://dlvrit.com/

Puts everything on auto pilot and drives an insane amount of traffic back to our community from twitter and facebook groups / pages but you can also auto post to linkedln, google business, pinterest, tumblr, slack and instagram

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...