high-load community

Hi,

I have a huge community having DB Size over 16Gb, daily page views over 500k. Average online users 10000-15000 on peaks and around 500K daily pageviews.

Now I am expecting over 1 million online users on a particular day. This is the major event and I don't want any performance glitch.

The Server detail is: CPU - 16, RAM - 64GB
PHP - v7.1.23,  MySQL -  v5.7.24-log 

Please suggest what should be the mitigation strategies

• Management

To cope with that kind of spike, you'll really need auto-scaling cloud hosting so it can increase capacity on demand.

You'll want to cache as much data as you can, and consider a CDN to offload resource loading freeing up the server to focus on PHP and MySQL.

If a large majority of the users will be guests, I would set up Redis and then also ensure your configuration is set to use Redis for guest page output caching. You can increase the amount of time to cache a page (say from 30 seconds to 60 seconds) in the process, and the result will be that once a page is cached (for 60 seconds), subsequent guest requests for that page will pull from Redis and never touch your database. The PHP overhead is minimal in this case, since we fetch the cache very early on in execution.

@

On 4/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, Matt said:

To cope with that kind of spike, you'll really need auto-scaling cloud hosting so it can increase capacity on demand.

You'll want to cache as much data as you can, and consider a CDN to offload resource loading freeing up the server to focus on PHP and MySQL.

Thanks for your suggestion Could you suggest a good CDN ?

Archived