Provide better upgrade error messages

TSP

Hello, 

Most times I've encountered an error message during upgrade, they are not really helpful. Could you please at least provide information about the current upgrade step and non-human-version. As a bonus, also the file path to the current upgrade file it's processing. I threw something very quick together for myself, but I would like to see this implemented in future versions. (Of course in a better looking way)

If you feel this is too advanced information to throw at everyone, hide it in a modal that opens when you click a button, a slightly hidden icon or something. 

Skjermbilde 2019-04-03 kl. 11.29.19.png

Easier for me and other tech minded people to find out where the issue is for quicker debugging and passing on solutions to your team etc. 

To pass the question back; what would the end user do with the current information?

Either way, if they don't understand what to do with the information, you will still receive the same ticket. But I would imagine it would be quicker for you to identify where the issue is with this information included too. 

3 hours ago, TSP said:

Easier for me and other tech minded people to find out where the issue is for quicker debugging and passing on solutions to your team etc. 

To pass the question back; what would the end user do with the current information?

Either way, if they don't understand what to do with the information, you will still receive the same ticket. But I would imagine it would be quicker for you to identify where the issue is with this information included too. 

We'd just take a look at the log which would tell us everything we need to know about where the issue occurred (which is more comprehensive than the information output).

Part of the general concern is that (1) an error shouldn't happen in the first place, and (2) if it does we should be made aware so we can fix the problem and ensure it doesn't happen for anyone else in the future. Outputting a bunch of technical info the end user won't understand will lead to confusion/questions and as you say, we still end up with the ticket at the end of the day anyways. You would probably be surprised at the number of people confused by our error codes presently, even though they're just codes designed to act as markers for us.

Archived