Poll votes no longer shows up in activity streams in 4.4.2

Runar

After upgrading to 4.4.2, poll votes no longer shows up in the activity streams. At first I thought this was a bug caused by myself, but after investigating, I found that the language string for this activity is removed. I then checked the release notes, and found this in the release notes for 4.4.0, under "Core - Search & Activity Streams":

Added support for showing images from pages records and poll votes in the activity stream.

There is nothing in the release notes for 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 indicating a change.

Is this done on purpose, or is it a nasty bug that must be fixed ASAP at all costs?

Poll votes were removed from the activity stream because there is no way to cross reference the permissions (the poll information in the database does not store any knowledge of where that poll is attached, so if there's a poll for a topic in a hidden forum there's no real way to know that when viewing a stream). This may be revisited in the future, but would require some architectural changes to how polls work.

8 hours ago, bfarber said:

Poll votes were removed from the activity stream because there is no way to cross reference the permissions (the poll information in the database does not store any knowledge of where that poll is attached, so if there's a poll for a topic in a hidden forum there's no real way to know that when viewing a stream). This may be revisited in the future, but would require some architectural changes to how polls work.

Thank you for the explanation. Does that mean polls are, theoretically, open for everyone, and the only thing enforcing permissions is the thread to which the poll is attached?

On 3/29/2019 at 5:05 PM, Runar said:

Thank you for the explanation. Does that mean polls are, theoretically, open for everyone, and the only thing enforcing permissions is the thread to which the poll is attached?

Yes and no.

There is no code to display or interact with a poll except in the controllers that support polls, and that's also where appropriate permission handling occurs. In other words, polls have no knowledge of where they are attached, but they also can't be displayed on their own so that doesn't matter (at present).

Archived