Suddenly seeing lots of error in error log for RSS

AlexJ

9 hours ago, Daniel F said:

Have you deleted the feeds or do you still see them in the ACP => System => RSS feeds list?

I didn't deleted the feed list 😞  This errors started popping up after upgrade to 4.4.1 from 4.3.6. 

image.thumb.png.e9cc19aeed3705896f68f0d7f64b6105.png

Those errors are level 1 - did you intentionally change the software to log level 1 errors and up? If not, that might explain why the errors "just started all of a sudden".

On the surface, those look like the RSS URLs used in 3.x, so perhaps a feed reader somewhere has those URLs saved and is still calling them even though they're no longer valid.

Note that forums do still support RSS feeds automatically without manually creating a custom RSS export list, however the URL format is different (there's a ".xml" extension and some query string parameters).

On 3/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, bfarber said:

Those errors are level 1 - did you intentionally change the software to log level 1 errors and up?

Nop, I didn't change anything. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, bfarber said:

Note that forums do still support RSS feeds automatically without manually creating a custom RSS export list,

I think in IPS 3.4.x I used to have those. I think after upgrade, I didn't have those? Now I am wondering if I lost in IPS 4.x upgrade to 4.4.x upgrade. Is their easy way to figure it out? Thanks!

On the surface it looks like while you were using 3.4.x those RSS URLs were entered into a feed reader, and they simply haven't worked since you upgraded to 4.x since those URLs are no longer valid. I would change your error reporting level from 1x to 2x or 3x and higher. 1x errors are common and easily triggered, and you shouldn't feel the need to chase them down. In this case, for instance, it is unlikely you'll ever be able to find who is using the old URLs or why. I could just as easily visit your site and mangle the URL on purpose and trigger a 1x error, which isn't a problem - it's not something you can fix.

Archived