Update to v4.4.2 and Mangled Text in Posts

Frank S. Hagan

Updated my board to v4.4.2 this morning and received complaints that the display of all posts on desktop devices has problems with the display of the text. Here's an example:

2019-03-21_2018

This image has the text constrained to the left column under the profile information, while other posts in the same topic will be a single letter wide and scrolling down the page. Mobil display seems to be OK, but any wider displays (like desktops or iPads) have the mangled text.

I have a ticket in for this, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have unedited standard theme with no modifications, and I've tried all the usual browser cache and cookies clearing, etc.

Specifically, I bet you have something like a Url field type with formatting code like

<a href='{$content}'>Website</a>

However, $content is the already formatted value (i.e. it's a full link tag already). You probably want to change that to $rawContent instead, in this instance.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:56 PM, bfarber said:

Specifically, I bet you have something like a Url field type with formatting code like

<a href='{$content}'>Website</a>

However, $content is the already formatted value (i.e. it's a full link tag already). You probably want to change that to $rawContent instead, in this instance.

It would have been really good to have had a heads-up on that change prior to the upgrade. It's really not a good experience to do a minor upgrade from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2 and see your forum layout completely broken.

Also, there seems to be some inconsistency in the information provided for this in the Admin CP...

inconsistency.png.4ff4c3afbe2b679ec36973d6dcd5534c.png

Should we use the dollar prefix or not? And there's no mention of "$raw".

Could you clarify?

1) The change was in 4.4.0 (however the content was output as HTML tags instead of actual HTML, which was fixed in one of the maintenance releases). In other words, this change came in a major release, not a minor release.

2) The first block of text is legacy text that was inadvertently left behind and will be cleaned up in an upcoming maintenance release. For now, you can ignore it and just reference the description under the actual field you are editing.

3) It's not "$raw", it's "$rawContent" which is referenced in that second description you circled.

Archived