Huge increase in server load after upgrading to 4.4.x

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redis is faster but it needs some tuning to perform better !

TTFB factors:

• Geographically relative source and target distance = how close test/visitor is to your server
  • DNS, server connection & response time
  • MySQL or database backend performance/settings
  • Server hardware

4 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Here with us Redis proved to be faster. We usually have around 4,000-5,000 people online.

I am curious if you compared Memcached in PHP 7.3 vs. Redis under PHP 7.3 ?

I will it admit that it took me some time to figure out how to install and run Memcached under PHP 7.3, but for me at least, this combo is better. I will admit that I did not go deeply into configuring Redis, and basically used the settings I found in this thread.

PS - I currently do not have the traffic you do, so under higher loads you could be correct that Redis works better.

I have done more research and have discovered an issue with the CKEditor in Pages. In my app I allow article comments, so the CKEditor box is displayed. On these pages there is a very serious load issue that is not only a 1 second delay in TTFB, but more than 15 seconds of delay in the "Time to Interactive." See below for an example:

image.thumb.png.47679a84b10244992d63902542f82de3.png

Now here is the same page moments later with the article comments locked, so the editor does not appear:

image.thumb.png.b17fa9e6225ecfbe95448162f7ed719f.png

Any help anyone can offer here would be great, but to me, it looks like some coding issue with the CKEditor.

I got this reply to my ticket in case it might help anyone else having a slowness issue in Pages:

Hello,

In 4.4.5, we have performed some changes for guests how we're loading the Javascript libraries for the editor and various components. This may improve this delay that you're seeing with the editor libraries loading. The beta is out now, you may wish to test this on your test site before moving live.

Thanks,
Jim M.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: 

And an update from Adlago:

This issue is not in the CKEditor, but in the reCaptcha.
After many analyzes of the CKEditor, I decided and stopped a recaptcha in my site. Site loading speed is restored as very good with CKEditor enabled.

Any help here to create a temporary fix would be appreciated.

I hope this helps others with this issue. 

I am experimenting with this potential fix in the captchaRecaptcha2 template, notice the "async defer" that was added. This seems to help a lot, although reCaptcha is still loading things from ~21 different URLs...likely all Google user tracking junk.

<div data-ipsCaptcha data-ipsCaptcha-service='recaptcha2' data-ipsCaptcha-key="{$publicKey}" data-ipsCaptcha-lang="{$lang}" data-ipsCaptcha-theme="{$theme}">
	<noscript>
	  <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px;">
	    <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px; position: relative;">
	      <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px; position: absolute;">
             <!-- Added async defer to line below by scott -->
	        <iframe src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/fallback?k={$publicKey}" style="width: 302px; height:352px; border-style: none;" async defer>
	        </iframe>
	      </div>
	      <div style="width: 250px; height: 80px; position: absolute; border-style: none; bottom: 21px; left: 25px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; right: 25px;">
	        <textarea id="g-recaptcha-response" name="g-recaptcha-response" class="g-recaptcha-response" style="width: 250px; height: 80px; border: 1px solid #c1c1c1; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; resize: none;"></textarea>
	      </div>
	    </div>
	  </div>
	</noscript>
</div>

PS - This solution isn't solving the issue fully...my hope here is that you can come up with a better solution.

Attributes "async defer "  not allowed on element iframe at this point. (html5 validation error)

To onload this iframe, use this code

<div data-ipsCaptcha data-ipsCaptcha-service='recaptcha2' data-ipsCaptcha-key="{$publicKey}" data-ipsCaptcha-lang="{$lang}" data-ipsCaptcha-theme="{$theme}">
	<noscript>
	  <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px;">
	    <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px; position: relative;">
	      <div style="width: 302px; height: 352px; position: absolute;">
	        <iframe src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/fallback?k={$publicKey}" style="width: 302px; height:352px; border-style: none;" onload="doSomething()">
	        </iframe>
	      </div>
	      <div style="width: 250px; height: 80px; position: absolute; border-style: none; bottom: 21px; left: 25px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; right: 25px;">
	        <textarea id="g-recaptcha-response" name="g-recaptcha-response" class="g-recaptcha-response" style="width: 250px; height: 80px; border: 1px solid #c1c1c1; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; resize: none;"></textarea>
	      </div>
	    </div>
	  </div>
	</noscript>
</div>

or, instead async defer use  onload="doSomething()"

Archived