Custom RSS feed not updating

Black Tiger

Hello.

In Applications in system -> Content discovery I have disabled guest permissions as I want guests to browse the forums and not be able to just view activity or whats new. That's for registered users.

I created a custom RSS feed, with new posts on the forums, which also guests could use, but some of the forums I did not include in this RSS feed, like a chitchat forum. This is because this feed is being used to put new posts on Twitter and Facebook.

Unfortunately it looks like this rss feed does not get updated. Last posts in the rss feed is from march 6th when I created the custom feed. There were a couple of new posts made after that on the forums, but they did not get included in the feed. So the feed is not updated.

Why is this content not updated? Anybody a clue on this?

Or does this only update new topics and not new reply's in a topic? If that is the case, is there an option to do this too?

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:13 AM, Black Tiger said:

Hello.

In Applications in system -> Content discovery I have disabled guest permissions as I want guests to browse the forums and not be able to just view activity or whats new. That's for registered users.

You could just remove the menu link for guests if deactivating the access completely would cause problems. 

On 3/15/2019 at 2:13 AM, Black Tiger said:

Or does this only update new topics and not new reply's in a topic? If that is the case, is there an option to do this too?

It’s only for new topics when using the RSS feed option in the ACP. I think it might work if you create a custom feed witch includes replies and then use the activity feed RSS. Haven’t tried it though. I can’t imagine people subscribing to such a feed. That would be a huge mess unless your forum is very small. 

I have the same issue with my custom forum feed. Have you opened a ticket for it?

No not yet. Mainly also because nobody answered to this post and I thought I read somewhere that only new topics would get into custom rss feeds, not reply's.

At this moment I solved it by creating a custom stream, in the stream options, but imho it should be possible with the custom RSS.

I think it might work if you create a custom feed witch includes replies and then use the activity feed RSS

I think you missed this one

I created a custom RSS feed, with new posts on the forums

There is no way to define that replies should be included. And the "content posted by" option is already set to "everyone".

If you are sure that reply's should also be included in a custom RSS then I will create a ticket for it.

You could just remove the menu link for guests if deactivating the access completely would cause problems.

Correct so I enabled activity streams for guests again. And had search for an option to remove the link for guests but could not find how to remove it for guests only.

I have rechecked it. There is an issue on my project for the custom and default forum feed as well. E. g. I have a board where a thread with pubdate Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:32:51 +0100 is listed in RSS for latest topics. There are definitely newer threads in the board :biggrin:  And this is only one example. The most threads in my default and custom RSS feeds are outdated and not new. I have opened a ticket.

5 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

There is no way to define that replies should be included. And the "content posted by" option is already set to "everyone".

The replies are included automatically in custom feeds (not in default one though). But they are not updated properly for me as well.

@Black Tiger, support says it works as desired. RSS called "Newest topics" does not display newest topics, but last updated topics. This means that if you have any threads from last year where the newest post is from yesterday you will get this topic as newest one. There is no link to the last post though in it, but to the first post of the topic. 

As I can see there is no possibility right now to create a RSS list of newest topics - recently created topics ordered by create date. That's how it works :sad:

1 minute ago, opentype said:

That can’t be right, since that is precisely what I have on my site. 

How have you created it? I have default RSS feed "Newest topics" that is definitely sorted by last post date and not by created date. This was acknowledged by support. And I have created a custom RSS feed that has the same sort behavior except of the link in custom RSS feed points to the last post and not to the first post. 

@Sonya*Thank you for the feedback. It's a pity. I expected that custom RSS feeds would be a bit more flexible.

As I can see there is no possibility right now to create a RSS list of newest topics - recently created topics ordered by create date.

Yes there is. You could try the way I did it. I created a custom stream for new posts. Every stream also automatically creates an rss feed.

Content items only -> I will choose which content to include -> Topics -> Select forums which you want to include in the rss feed. The rest is everything at newest and Newest activity first.

You can find the xml at the position of the custom stream. So you have 5 default streams. If your custom stream is the 6th then if everything is good, you should be able to visit it at https://www.yourforums.com/discover/6.xml/

This way you have your custom rss feed with new topics and new reply's in it.

I use it to autopost to Twitter and my Facebook page using IFTTT, works great.

That can’t be right, since that is precisely what I have on my site.

I only got only new topics, If a topic was responded to it did not become "new" again. Let alone that any content would be displayed. Only new topics were mentioned.

In my case I needed an rss feed with reply's. The Custom RSS does not do that.

1 minute ago, Black Tiger said:

This way you have your custom rss feed with new topics and new reply's in it.

No, this way I have the topics with the newest replies (last post date) and not newest topics (created date). E. g. if I have 20 topics in my forum created in the last 7 days plus 100 topics where the last post was created in the last 7 days. Then my RSS feed shows 5 recently created topics AND 15 topics that were created years ago but have a reply in last 7 days. This way my RSS feed looks outdated as it has pubdate of the topic creation and NOT of the latest reply. If pubdate were of the latest post then it would make sense. 

What I would like to have - a RSS feed that lists newest topics by date creation, not by last post in it.

6 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

How have you created it?

ACP → RSS Feeds → Create New → Topics [on]

I am not sure about the logic of the ordering, but the result is, that a new topic is added to the feed. Replies do not appear on their own or set the topic to unread. So it works like a new topic RSS feed. I use that for years without problems. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

I am not sure about the logic of the ordering, but the result is, that a new topic is added to the feed.

The logic as I have said by last post date and not by date creation and this was acknowledged by support. I have not said that I have no newest topics in my feed. Some of them are there. But only few of them, the most topics there are not really the newest one (if you see the creation date that is at the same time pubdate in RSS). The replies in the topics are new but not the topics themselves. The topic creation date and the last post creation date are not the same. There can be difference in years. 

What I would like to have a list of newest topics by creation date. That's all. No topics that have been created back in 2015 or 2013 and receive the last reply or post yesterday. OR there should be actual pubdate in RSS feed, the date of the last post and NOT the date of topic creation. As this is weird to have topics from previous years in the RSS feed called "Newest topics". 

Looks like we reached an impasse. I say it works for me just the way you want it, you say it doesn’t for you. Not sure where to go from here. 

I am subscribed to my own feeds for testing purposes and can’t remember to ever see unearthed old topics in there. It works as a new content feed. 

10 minutes ago, opentype said:

I say it works for me just the way you want it, you say it doesn’t for you.

This is just because your forum works like Q&As. You have not any long player topics where people write pages of content and have over 500 replies. The most questions in your forum are answered same day and there is no answers weeks or month later. Therefore you do not see the difference between topic creation date and last post creation date. This is not important for your type of board. At least not for the forums you have included in your custom RSS.

We have tons of long topics used over months with over 100 pages and our users love necroposts :biggrin: That's why it makes difference for us of how Newest Topics are defined. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

Well you must know …

I am not a member of your community and I will not register with to give you a prove for something the support already acknowledged for me. The forums I can see on your project as guest do NOT contain tons of pages. They are all short termed. Your custom RSS does include only these topics because of the permissions, that is what I can see and can judge. 

Support says: it is sorted by LAST POST DATE. If it works for you on your member boards with long player topics other way (by topic creation date), then you have an error on your board, even if it is works as desired for you.

At the end of the day: if you are happy with your RSS then be happy :biggrin:. Unless you can make a prove that your RSS is indeed sorted by topic creation date and not by last post date. In this case I would create another support ticket to claim the same behavior on my project 😉

$search->setOrder( \IPS\Content\Search\Query::ORDER_NEWEST_CREATED );

The RSS code is ordering by newest created date (which is separate from updated date, ORDER_NEWEST_UPDATED). Can you please supply your ticket number so I can take a look? I just ran a test and can't reproduce what you're describing.

6 minutes ago, bfarber said:

$search->setOrder( \IPS\Content\Search\Query::ORDER_NEWEST_CREATED );

The RSS code is ordering by newest created date (which is separate from updated date, ORDER_NEWEST_UPDATED). Can you please supply your ticket number so I can take a look? I just ran a test and can't reproduce what you're describing.

They are ordered by the last post, so that would indeed be correct. For example, the top item has a pub date of 22nd april, which is correct as that is when that topic was published. However it is indeed the topic with the newest reply.

I see - just to be clear, I believe the technician was referring to the "Newest Topics" automatic RSS feed, which would sort the topics in the RSS the same way you would see them in the forum by default. I have reopened your ticket to have it double checked.

51 minutes ago, bfarber said:

I see - just to be clear, I believe the technician was referring to the "Newest Topics" automatic RSS feed, which would sort the topics in the RSS the same way you would see them in the forum by default. I have reopened your ticket to have it double checked.

I would rename the default RSS feed to "Last updated topics" to avoid confusion if the sorting by last post date is desired. However, in this case I would also update pubdate with the last post date. So that we do not have any entries from last years (according to pubdate) in RSS that supposed to list new content.

Archived