Featured items throughout community

Sonya*

Hi, there is a possibility to feature content items in the community. However, the feature is not consistent throughout community areas :

• Forums -> Topic can be featured, but there is no block for featured topics
  • Clubs -> Club can be featured, featured clubs are displayed above the list of clubs
  • Blogs -> Entry can be featured, featured entries are displayed above the list of blogs/entries
  • Calendar -> Event can be featured, featured events are displayed below the month table or event stream
  • Articles -> Article can be featured, but there is no block for featured articles
  • Gallery -> Image can be featured, featured images are displayed below the list of albums
  • Downloads -> File can be featured, featured files are displayed above the list of downloads
  • Commerce -> Product can be featured, featured products are displayed below the list of products.

I wish it would be the same behavior in each section. The block with featured items should appear once an item is featured. The featured block should be added either above or below content on all index pages (probably setting for the position?).

Edited by Sonya*

10 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Topic can be featured, but there is no block for featured topics

There's no need for a separate block, the topic feed has a filter for this.

10 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Articles -> Article can be featured, but there is no block for featured articles

Same here:)

@Daniel F this is still not consistent. The block appears automatically in some areas and in some not. In some areas (products, events, images) it is has ready IPS style, in other areas (topics, articles) I have to create custom style to have the look-and-feel of the default IPS block. The position is not obvious for me too: why sometimes above and sometimes below the main content? Yes, I know that I can create my own blocks and place them where I want, and I can create custom theme hooks to place default block into another position. However I wish it would work the same way in whole community without any custom work. Just like featured clubs or files in downloads. 

• 1 year later...

@Sonya* I don't know about the workarounds, can you point me to a place where they might be listed? Can you use a database to link to events and then "feature" those database records in a feed of some sort?

Or help figure out how to mark an event in some way, (featured is OK, but the 'featured' does not automatically come off once event has passed) and loop through a feed of events in a block, selected based on date range, or some feature.

Thank you