Club Categories

There is currently no decent way of creating categories and subcategories for clubs like there is for forums, downloads etc. This would be a very good QoL improvement over simply dumping all of them into a giant list with filter buttons. Please let us assign categories via extra fields or other methods. This should also come with a choice about whether to show all clubs, or separate them into categories on the root clubs page.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:27 AM, Nakamura0114 said:

Yup, basically this. Would like this to be part of the Invision package however, rather than having to pay extra for each QoL thing missed.

This deserves a bump.  I'd love to see a native Categories functionality for Clubs.  The very fact that they can be used for so many different things begs for this functionality!  All respect to thejackal's work (I have purchased several of his apps and am happy with them), IMO this is essential to have baked in to the native framework without having to pay a subscription/renewal fee (especially since according to one of thejackal's own posts the new framework seems to be creating issues for the third-party creation of categories).

Edited by liquidfractal

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, mrbowers said:

Don't for get you can set up this with your home page for clubs in the menu settings.

https://yourdomainname.com/clubs/categories/ - This will bypass the grid and show categories and sub categories. You can now put icons in these as well! 

Also don't for get to make a landing page for it to add awesomeness !

Can this be done without the Club Categories App?

On 1/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, Matt said:

We've had this on our internal roadmap for a while, there isn't a set release or date, but it's something we do want to do.

this is surely difficult for many of us to understand what is blocking the implementation of an option that seems so minimal. without being a developer, it seems even surprising that it takes so long or that it could be a break in the functioning of the site if it is implemented in the near future. I read in the blog that we would no longer wait for major releases to add options. Isn't it better to take a break from your very long-term work, to focus on the small additions. it often happens to read "We've had this on our internal roadmap" but what is blocking it so that it lasts so long? I'm trying to tell myself that surely there must be major work in the codes of thousands of lines of files that we do not see, concerning the correction of bugs, improvement ... but here we are wondering whether it is about small additions or the progress of the mobil application. I'm sure if you hire a developer who is dedicated to adding all of these small changes, customers will get them done faster. or maybe you have to remove the coffee machine (joke)

1 hour ago, annadaa said:

this is surely difficult for many of us to understand what is blocking the implementation of an option that seems so minimal. without being a developer, it seems even surprising that it takes so long or that it could be a break in the functioning of the site if it is implemented in the near future. I read in the blog that we would no longer wait for major releases to add options. Isn't it better to take a break from your very long-term work, to focus on the small additions. it often happens to read "We've had this on our internal roadmap" but what is blocking it so that it lasts so long? I'm trying to tell myself that surely there must be major work in the codes of thousands of lines of files that we do not see, concerning the correction of bugs, improvement ... but here we are wondering whether it is about small additions or the progress of the mobil application. I'm sure if you hire a developer who is dedicated to adding all of these small changes, customers will get them done faster. or maybe you have to remove the coffee machine (joke)

Some thoughts:

• I've been watching the IPS forums for many, many years and I've seen an average of 2 year turntime from product suggestion to product implementation.  For most suggestions in the IPS forums, they ignore.  
  • IPS gets feedback from many sources, including enterprise clients and managed clients -- you know, people who pay more money than you.  
  • When you have zero expectations, you're always surprised!  

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that stops me from utilizing clubs with forums is how each club is displayed within the forum. If categories are to come out, let them be categories in the forum or better yet, let club forums be sub forums under a category or forum for strictly display reasons in the traditional forum view. 

Edited by AlexWebsites

3 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

Just got word from the team that improving clubs functionality / organization is a priority and that a full sweep of Clubs is in the works 🙏 

It would be really wonderful if we could get an overview of what will be included in the "full sweep."

3 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

let club forums be sub forums under a category or forum for strictly display reasons in the traditional forum view. 

You can already show club forums in forums:

image.thumb.png.062d0166c0b7888ac388629ef9d07b4d.png

Go to ACP > Community > Clubs > Settings.  

38 minutes ago, Moonbeam said:

It would be really wonderful if we could get an overview of what will be included in the "full sweep."

The company always drips out their new features in the company blog:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/

They historically do not do a good job of notifying or tracking updates in the forums.  

30 minutes ago, Joel R said:

You can already show club forums in forums:

image.thumb.png.062d0166c0b7888ac388629ef9d07b4d.png

Go to ACP > Community > Clubs > Settings.  

The company always drips out their new features in the company blog:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/

They historically do not do a good job of notifying or tracking updates in the forums.  

Yes, but I was responding to Jordan's announcement that there's a plan in the works for a club overhaul, so I was asking for an outline of said overhaul in that context. Just seemed like the logical and appropriate place to mention it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, AlexWebsites said:

Yes but they are listed as individual forums, so if you have 50 clubs...enjoy scrolling your page on the traditional forum view home page.

Completely agree.

I would love to see both of the following options:

1. Only display individual forums for clubs that the member has already joined (so rather than them seeing all 50 clubs in this scenario, they would just see the ones they've joined and are actually interested in).
  2. Have one category/forum for 'clubs' within traditional forum view, and then once you click on that, have a list of all clubs (essentially the same as the sub-forum idea @AlexWebsitesalready suggested - although I think it would need to operate very slightly differently to normal sub-forums, because it would still look a little messy in traditional forum view homepage having 50+ sub-forums).

Either way, for communities with a lot of clubs, the forum view just isn't practical with the current setup. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:06 PM, Jordan Miller said:

Just got word from the team that improving clubs functionality / organization is a priority and that a full sweep of Clubs is in the works 🙏 

Apologies for the necromancy, but with the marketplace app being dead, does the team have an update on whether this is still in the works or on the roadmap?

Hi @Nakamura RTS,

We do have plans to improve Clubs in the future, but there isn't an update I can provide you at the moment.

This may well be a generic answer, but as much as we want to improve our products, we also don't want to disappoint by providing unrealistic timeframes and expectations. Our attention is currently focused on the revamp of Gallery, with plans on improving other products including Commerce and Pages as explained in our December 2022 Chat and Invision Insight below.