"incompatible Themes" Could this sentence be improved!?

TAMAN

This confirmation step in the site upgrading is really not okay to say that your themes are incompatible, Just because the theme templates are modified it does not mean that they are incompatible. 

Whenever IPS releases a new update I get a bunch of messages from clients saying like"Hey, i want to update my site but IPS says that your theme is incompatible"

This "incompatible themes" is really wrong to be used here. Could this sentence be improved any how?

IPS_Dreadnought-notcompatible.png.eaa4fe

What wording do you suggest? I think all that is written there is absolutely correct. It’s just that people don’t read it or don’t properly understand it. It clearly states “If you have modified the themes yourself …” then you need to act yourself as a user. It doesn’t say “that developer’s theme” is incompatible. It refers to the theme’s installation and then explains two reason for the incompatibility. 

26 minutes ago, opentype said:

What wording do you suggest? I think all that is written there is absolutely correct. It’s just that people don’t read it or don’t properly understand it. It clearly states “If you have modified the themes yourself …” then you need to act yourself as a user. It doesn’t say “that developer’s theme” is incompatible. It refers to the theme’s installation and then explains two reason for the incompatibility. 

The "Incompatible" word itself is incorrect to be used there, the theme could be completely compatible but just because it is modified it always states that it is incompatible and this confuses clients,

for example in the image above, this guy have already updated the theme before updating the site, and it is totally okay to do that. but then during the site update the updater states that the theme is incompatible,

You still haven’t said what wording you would suggest. 😉 

I disagree with the statement that the current wording or the word “incompatible” is wrong. The user has a theme installation on his site. This theme installation is incompatible, either because the developer hasn’t upgraded it—and/or the user has modified it. If there are modifications, the affected templates won’t be touched and can’t be upgraded—which makes them by definition incompatible. But that’s just semantics. The question remains, how this could potentially be improved. Again: the user needs to read and understand what is said there—whether the word incompatible is used or not. 

It's hard to know what to recommend when the first sentence starts "Some of your themes are incompatible". Are they or aren't they? If they are, then the heading's fine. If they're not, then you could change the heading but without changing that first sentence to something else, it's pretty pointless.

33 minutes ago, opentype said:

This theme installation is incompatible, either because the developer hasn’t upgraded it—and/or the user has modified it. If there are modifications, the affected templates won’t be touched and can’t be upgraded—which makes them by definition incompatible.

No!

Look, You could update the theme before updating the site. and the theme will be completely compatible for the new IPS version. because the modified templates that the updater states it is incompatible is modified to be compatible 😄 

Another example, In my themes only 2 templates are modified and %98 of the times i don't need to update my themes to support new ips version because these templates don't need to be updated and the updater always states that it is incompatible in every versions. it is only modified and don't need to be updated

16 minutes ago, TAMAN said:

because the modified templates that the updater states it is incompatible is modified to be compatible 😄 

Hu? I can’t judge if that is actually how it works, but in this case, the entire dialogue would indeed be wrong. It wouldn’t just be a matter of improving a sentence. So the files shown in the screenshot are not actually modified by the user, but by the theme designer, so they are compatible with the version to be installed?

On 3/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, opentype said:

Hu? I can’t judge if that is actually how it works, but in this case, the entire dialogue would indeed be wrong. It wouldn’t just be a matter of improving a sentence. So the files shown in the screenshot are not actually modified by the user, but by the theme designer, so they are compatible with the version to be installed?

Exactly 

and yes for example in the screenshot above the updater states that the theme is incompatible, but it is NOT incompatible it is modified to be compatible.

The updater should not state modified templates incompatible, the templates could be modified to support the new version or it might not even need to be updated.

thats why using the "incompatible" word here is incorrect and wrong it really causes confessions for everyone instead of helping

From a programmatic standpoint we don't really know if a modified template is "compatible" or not. We simply know it has been changed in the current release, and we can't automatically apply those changes.

So, going back to what opentype asked - what would you suggest in terms of wording? I can understand your predicament here and am open to suggestions.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, bfarber said:

From a programmatic standpoint we don't really know if a modified template is "compatible" or not. We simply know it has been changed in the current release, and we can't automatically apply those changes.

So, going back to what opentype asked - what would you suggest in terms of wording? I can understand your predicament here and am open to suggestions.

Yes i have a few suggestions.

For example the top heading "Incompatible Themes" could be replaced with "There are modified theme templates" or "Your custom themes" "Check your themes", "Confirm modified theme templates" or whatever you think its best, just not the "incompatible themes" modified themes are not always incompatible, most of the time templates does not even need to be updated.

Then the second line under the heading could also be replaced and start by saying something like

""Some of your theme templates are modified" instead of "Some of your themes are not compatible"

then finally this one

34dc178ec38f070462b8edf9697b4963.png

the last line from here could be replaced with something like

"If you obtained the effected themes from a designer you should contact them to ask if a new version of the themes are available for this version. If you have already updated the themes or planing to update later then proceed to update "

Archived